OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Directory Structure
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:06 am 

It is probably a little late to mention this, but does anyone else feel the wiki would benefit from a less linear structure. For example i read an article on Text Cursors earlier, and it was all about x86. If we were to be more generic, having a global Test Cursor topic whose location did not allude to the fact it is for PC's makes it quite hard to navigate. As i said though, far too late to mention this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:59 am 

I think this is more of a x86 osdev wiki. That's what mostl of the articles are directed towards. Wouldn't it be easier just to start another wiki for a different architecture?

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:08 pm 

Well x86 was just an example... there are also areas in theory, design, tools and a completely unrelated article about licensing :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:03 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
obviously, most people are deving for the x86 architecture, and hence thats what we have most on. For that reason, virtually all articles are either x86 oriented or theoretic/platform independent. I think that when more people start doing different architectures, like ARM, MIPS, SPARC, PA, 68k, etc, we will probably see an corresponding amount of articles appearing targeting the respective architecture.

Talking about the [wiki]Text Mode Cursor[/wiki] page, it is true that it has x86-specific code snippets. Not surprisingly because the only non-x86 machine i have with a VGA is only because i put it in there myself (VGA's have x86-specific bootcode, and for that reason i still have to use a terminal to control the thing).

By my knowledge, I can't think of an article that is x86 oriented while it shouldn't be. Most explain the idea independent of platform, and give x86 code as a sample. If you find any, feel free to change it or post a thing or two on the talkpage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:12 pm 

Tyler wrote:
Well x86 was just an example... there are also areas in theory, design, tools and a completely unrelated article about licensing :-P