OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Deleted post.
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 am 

Just wondering why my post on this topic was deleted?
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27967

Post subject: Re: Deleted post.
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:00 am 

Hi,

bwat wrote:
Just wondering why my post on this topic was deleted?
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27967

I not too sure why, but it was moved into the moderator's forum (not actually deleted). I've left a comment there, but I haven't moved it back where it was to give the moderator who moved it a chance to either explain or reconsider.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:32 pm 

Thanks for looking into this for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 am 

It's happened again. Now that makes three posts that have disappeared in the last week or two. I now get the message and won't be posting again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 am 

Hello,

Please don't misunderstand, I'll be fully transparent about what is happening. Your posts are not being specifically targeted in any way, and no one is desiring for you go stop posting. As you are likely well aware, the forum has a problem with noise and elitism. As such, I and other moderators scan the forum for useless posts (that contribute nothing), troublesome posts and general spam. These posts are not deleted, but safely moved to a designated topic for other moderators to audit, such that the posts can be fully restored if desired. This is happening in response to some forum members that exclusively (or mostly) posts such disruptive posts, but each such post is hardly sufficient for disciplinary action. Occasionally, a bad call is made, but if any moderator objects, the post is moved back without hesitation. This is meant to happen silently in the background to keep the forum running smoothly and it should be no surprise that moderation happens in the background. If this happens to one of your (the reader's) posts, just move along and pay it no mind, or use the `Report this post' facility on the topic to send an inquiry to the moderation team to ask for information on what happened.

bwat, in the latest case it was me that moved your post away (another moderator did your original post and we had a healthy internal discussion on the matter). It didn't contribute much (and might has misunderstood the issue) and resulted in subsequent replies that weren't particularly useful in their own right (and arguably, inflammatory towards you) and suffered the same fate as yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:08 am 

bwat wrote:
It's happened again. Now that makes three posts that have disappeared in the last week or two. I now get the message and won't be posting again.

Chill Man! Real men don't stop posting just because someone removed a few of their posts. :)

I'm not moderators but I can assure you that you aren't being targeted (as sortiecat previously mentioned), even a few of my posts have been removed. The moderators here are doing their job and they tend to worry about the quality as the forums is becoming a larger place day by day. They would obviously remove posts that are off-topic, this isn't a bad thing. I vaguely remember Combuster posting on the same topic (the memory real hw one), and his post along with yours was deleted/shifted. When posts from veterans like Combuster are removed for the sake of quality I can bet that your aren't the only one.

To give you a live example I'm not sure if this post will go through the offtopic/quality barrier. :wink: