OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Q&A site at stackexchange
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 am 

Hi,

Afaik, several people have tried to make a Q&A site at stackexchange (e.g. http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa ... ng-systems), but none got much support. I can't see how a Q&A site for osdev is a bad idea, and was wondering if someone from us should make a new proposal and garner support for it?

Regards,
Shikhin

Current status: Gandr.

Post subject: Re: Q&A site at stackexchange
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
The issue has been beaten to death before. Moving to SO will get the questions lost in the mass, or just as likely, closed because they often involve a lack of debugging skills.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:50 pm 

The things that could be answered to satisfaction by the Q&A format of Stackexchange can be readily asked on SO ("why is the value of this variable 5, not 6?" - "what would be a good algorithm for this?"). The rest of the questions needs the kind of point-to-the-ressource thing we have with our Wiki here.

Really, a good percentage of newbie questions here could conceivably be taken to StackOverflow. It's just that most people actually don't have the knack of getting their programming problem isolated from the whole environment it is first perceived in. Incidentially, that's usually why they have to ask for help in the first line...

One of my initial doubts about StackExchange (it being beta) has vanished. All others I voiced in the thread Combuster linked to are still there.

The OS part is best done here, because it's not Q&A in the first place. The general programming part is already catered for by StackOverflow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 pm 

For what it is worth... the homebrew os site got restarted. And there is a very interesting reverse engineering site in beta. The homebrew Os site could be handy however the reverse engineering site is clearly quite valuable to me already.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa ... ng-systems The homebrew OS one is currently stalled for lack of people voting on and making example questions.

http://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/ The RE site is quite nice already with 80 Q&As and good stats all around for the few days it has been active... I've quite enjoyed answering and reading the questions there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
*downvote* :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:17 pm 

Combuster wrote:
*downvote* :wink:

lol