OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why topics are deleted??
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:39 pm 

I see that some topics with my posts are disappered. One topic was something like "useful code snippets", where useful printing utilities were discussed, another was about first stage bootloader from Ext2 file system. That topic had useful link now buried in oblivion.
Who was disturbed by that topics? Yes, I know that second topic was brought back by necromancy (not by me!), but so what? That's bad style, but not offense. Lock the topic if you think that that's enough posting but don't delete.
I feel aggrieved about such deletion of topics and posts that don't offend the forum rules.

Post subject: Re: Why topics are deleted??
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm 

Stupidity.

As far as I can tell (yeah, I've only been here for a year or so, I know) we're not here to entertain undeveloped ideas or to hold a newcomer's hand through the basics of OS development. We're also not willing to help those who are going to ignore our getting started information and think they can just jump in without the required knowledge. Some of these people have no idea what assembly language is and have no interest in finding out. Sometimes we even get people who think they're better than us, and that should bow down to their superior knowledge and intellect. People who ask proper questions and state that they've done some searching are helped a lot faster and a lot more directly compared to those who just dump ten screens of code and say "fix it".

Ignorance and stupidity are removed. Things that should be either incredibly easy to google for or read the manual for are answered as such and left to die. Constructive posts stay and are contributed to greatly.

That's what I've been seeing lately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:49 pm 

Hi,

Yoda wrote:
I see that some topics with my posts are disappered. One topic was something like "useful code snippets", where useful printing utilities were discussed, ...

Imagine if I went to a forum intended for experienced cooks and I asked a lot of silly questions (like how to boil an egg). Further, imagine that one day (through perseverance and practice) I became an extremely good/knowledgeable chef. What if every time I talked to someone about cooking (and every job I applied for), they lookup my previous posts on the cooking forum and found those "permanently stored forever" silly questions about how to boil an egg, and decided that I suck and couldn't be bothered doing any basic research? That would be embarrassing.

If the moderators of the hypothetical cooking forum were kind, they might take pity on me and consider waiting until after I've got my answers, and then removing these posts to prevent me from future embarrassment (and also to make it clear to me that the forum isn't really meant for people that can't boil an egg, and to avoid future people seeing these posts and thinking the forum is for "how to boil an egg" questions).

Of course if these theoretical moderators only removed my posts, then topics where I've posted a lot (and people have replied to what I've said in my posts) would become a confusing mess. In this case, people who were explaining to me how to boil an egg are likely to also have their posts removed in the clean up (including the moderator's own posts). In addition, posts telling me that I should do some research (and/or go jogging) would also have to be cleaned up.

Yoda wrote:
... another was about first stage bootloader from Ext2 file system. That topic had useful link now buried in oblivion.

There were 2 posts deleted from an "ELF Bootloader" topic 2 days ago. I don't remember the exact content of these posts; but I think one was just plain wrong and/or silly, and the other was complaining about the first. This had nothing to do with necromancy.

There were also 3 posts deleted from a different "ext2 boot loader? oO" topic 12 days ago. This would have been due to necromancy (the original poster created the topic in January 2009 and decided to just use GRUB and not bother with ext2 the next day). I would've considered (and then rejected) the idea of splitting the topic before deleting those posts; but I don't remember what any of those posts contained now (I barely remember what I did yesterday). However, if the person who revived the topic was the one who posted the link you remember; then that person has no other posts (and this may have given me the impression that their intent was to promote their own work rather than to help the "no longer interested" topic creator).

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 pm 

Blacklight wrote:
Stupidity.

As far as I can tell (yeah, I've only been here for a year or so, I know) we're not here to entertain undeveloped ideas or to hold a newcomer's hand through the basics of OS development. We're also not willing to help those who are going to ignore our getting started information and think they can just jump in without the required knowledge. Some of these people have no idea what assembly language is and have no interest in finding out. Sometimes we even get people who think they're better than us, and that should bow down to their superior knowledge and intellect. People who ask proper questions and state that they've done some searching are helped a lot faster and a lot more directly compared to those who just dump ten screens of code and say "fix it".

Ignorance and stupidity are removed. Things that should be either incredibly easy to google for or read the manual for are answered as such and left to die. Constructive posts stay and are contributed to greatly.

That's what I've been seeing lately.

Many of your included reasons are irrelevant to the actual problem. Your typical I'm a good boy speech i have heard out of many members on here trying to be "Good Samaritans" just blurt out random sh-t to make them seem like they are the do good'ers. I'm here to point out that it has nothing to do with the problem stated here in this thread and its almost like you just want to look good. Stop trying to improve your image with that sh-t. We have moderators and they are here not to improve an image, but to post a response to misunderstood actions (Like you had attempted).

I know, why am i the as-hole to come back momentarily (Not done) to post that. I'm sick of people trying to be the hero when they have no clue what they are saving. It makes me think they just want attention. I can understand if you aren't, but posting that and getting many irrelevant details in, pushes my thought train onto a different rusty rail to a different idea. I don't feel any better for posting something like this, but this really needs to be said.

(As for me, ill be back when i'm done with my project to show here)