OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: A community OS development
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm 

Is it possible to recover posts in their original form before they were edited? Having read the edited version of the opening post, our response does seem a little harsh, though I can't remember what the original wording was. It might still be cached in temporary files in our machines, but I don't know how to get at that.

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm 

DavidCooper wrote:
Is it possible to recover posts in their original form before they were edited? Having read the edited version of the opening post, our response does seem a little harsh, though I can't remember what the original wording was. It might still be cached in temporary files in our machines, but I don't know how to get at that.

I updated none of the wording but the link to the project, rest assured.

SessionChange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:04 pm 

HolmesSherlock wrote:
DavidCooper wrote:

I updated none of the wording but the link to the project, rest assured.

In that case I'd like to apologise for my tone and for calling you arrogant.

I think the real problem is that there's no subforum for newbie posts where people can ask silly questions or make unattractive invitations without seven levels of hell immediately unleashing their contents all over them. Maybe there should be a subforum where newbies can test the waters without immediately being stamped on if they fall short, and which could be avoided by all those who are irritated whenever they find they've clicked on something ill-advised when they're trying to get up to speed with the day's events as quickly as possible. Newbies could then answer each other's questions, aided on occasions by charitable members who have a little time to kill, and any good threads that are found there could be promoted to a superior subforum. There's a lot of hostility going on here which could probably be avoided. I also think there's room for "lazy" questions by people who can't be bothered to google because it can save them a lot of time if someone kind directs them straight to the best information instead of having to spend ages trawling through a list of search results which often aren't immediately intelligible.

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming

Last edited by DavidCooper on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm 

DavidCooper wrote:

In that case I'd like to apologise for my tone and for calling you arrogant.

It's ok. JFYI, the previous link was this

SessionChange

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 am 

HolmesSherlock wrote:
As a new entrant here @ osdev, I had a bitter experience. A simple thread of mine has turned out to be a place for flame discussions & "pulling one's legs". I've been an active member of many other online communities & have never seen a newcomr to be treated like this. It's shocking & discouraging at the same time. A board like this should be a breeding ground for ideas & should stimulate, encourage the newcomers. With due respect to the knowledge, ability & competency to the members here, I'd like to request any Moderator/Admin to delete this thread. But as I've said that my idea was taken from Bran's & jamesM's tuts, i suspect how many of u have actually had a look into the code & decided that how much of it was my creation & how much was "stolen" or simply copy-pasted.

Don't take it personally. People here see attempts to do community OS dev about every month... And they pretty much invariably fail.

Unless you have already made most of the design decisions, and have a fairly mature, stable codebase (at least a year or two of active development, I'd say), then it's too early to try and get a team together.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:52 am 

Steve the Pirate wrote:
Don't take it personally. People here see attempts to do community OS dev about every month... And they pretty much invariably fail.

Unless you have already made most of the design decisions, and have a fairly mature, stable codebase (at least a year or two of active development, I'd say), then it's too early to try and get a team together.

Thank you, a friendly suggestion indeed.

SessionChange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm 

Personally, I would never jump on a modified tutorial. Actually, about the only possible reward for doing an OS project is to learn how to write an OS, and gain knowledge about how to interface with hardware. Personally, I've benefitted professionally from my OS project by becoming an expert on low-level programming, which is something that companies seek. Making a commersial OS was never the goal. Even if several hundred systems will run my OS in the near future, I'll get nothing personally for this, other than a nice feeling that I did all this code to the last byte myself. :mrgreen:

So, for me the whole motivation was the challenge to make an OS from scratch. A challenge that would not exist with an already existing code-base.