OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Forum Software Questions/Ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:36 am 

Having used several forum software solutions from a website client perspective, and at least 2 from a forum administrator perspective, I've been wondering why several of the websites I visit use the software they do. Some of them it's just a curiosity, but some of them it's being amazed at their decision to use a sub-par solution when several better choices exist. I've heard bad things about how difficult it can sometimes be for an inexperienced user to add mods to phpBB. I have used vB's (IMHO) horrid Admin CP because a friend asked me to help set up his site, and I managed to convince him to switch over to the forum software I use (especially since his site would now be legal). I use MyBB, and have fallen in love with their easy to use plugin system (seriously, my first PHP project ever was a reasonably successful MyBB plugin) and simplistic template and theme system.

Now that I've gotten the ad out of the way, here are the questions:
1) What forum software have you used from a user's perspective? (You must name at least one)
2) Which, if any, was your favorite and why?
3) Which site had the worst?
4) What forum software have you used from an administrator's perspective?
5) Which, if applicable, was your favorite, and why?
6) If you could change the software used on this site (pretend all data applicable, like user accounts and posts, as well as themes, could be migrated without issue), would you, and what to?

My answers:
1) MyBB, vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, whatever that terrible POS Gamedev.net uses
2) vBulletin. It only barely beats MyBB because I like the PM notification popup as well as the post editor.
3) Gamedev.net, their software rarely remembers that I've chosen "Log me in automatically" when every other site I visit does, as well as being set to not use BBcode (which confuses people used to practically every other forum ever, though it is probably a per-site setting).
4) vBulletin, MyBB
5) MyBB, their plugin system and theme/template system are very easy to use, and they don't go overboard with features that should go in plugins anyway
6) In case you haven't guessed, I like MyBB. I wouldn't hesitate to work on switching the site over one bit.

Let the wars begin?

What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?

Post subject: Re: Forum Software Questions/Ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:43 am 

Firestryke31 wrote:
1) What forum software have you used from a user's perspective? (You must name at least one)

phpBB, BurningBoard, vBulletin, XForum, APBoard, whatever they called the joke over at SourceForge back when I actually used their services, and probably quite a few others I cannot remember.

Quote:

This one here. Quality community, quality discussions. (Note this has nothing to do with the quality of the forum software.)

Quote:

SourceForge.

Quote:

XForum, as PostNuke plugin.

Quote:

XForum. Because it worked as a PostNuke plugin. ;-)

Quote:
6) If you could change the software used on this site (pretend all data applicable, like user accounts and posts, as well as themes, could be migrated without issue), would you, and what to?

No. I, as most of the regulars here, have grown quite accustomed to the way things are. Getting wild on plugins, themes and features doesn't improve a community, and there is no such thing as a smooth migration. Ever.

Never change a running system.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:04 am 

Firestryke31 wrote:

phpBB, vBulletin and "whatever they called the joke over at SF when I used it" too :)

Quote:

phpBB - possibly just because I'm so familiar with it - the layout just seems to make sense whatever theme I use (perhaps with the exception of OMG Ponies!). Agree with Solar about community and discussions but don't think that's what you were getting at.

Quote:

SF +1. And it didn't just have the worst BB software - none of it was particularly 'nice' to use. I just went to their home page and they have changed it since I last used it thoug, so may need to take a look around and change my opinion...

Quote:

phpBB, but only to play with it. I have never administrated a real-life bb (although, of course, I have experience from a mod point of view...)

Quote:

phpBB - not really fair, it's the only one I've used.

Quote:

I don't think I'd change it - I think it's a Good Idea to consider upgrades to the existing software when they are released, as Chase did when we changed from phpBB2 to phpBB3. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Cheers,
Adam

BTW - I've promoted this topic to 'About this site - think it could be useful to keep this topic 'on file'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 am 

Firestryke31 wrote:

phpbb2, phpbb3, SMF, vBulletin, SF.net crapola, IPB, probably others...

Firestryke31 wrote:

phpbb3. Lots of features. Not so much on the default anti-aliased smileys (the ones we have here are the phpbb2 ones.)

Firestryke31 wrote:

SF.net without question.

Firestryke31 wrote:

phpbb3.

Firestryke31 wrote:

phpbb3. Easy to modify, use, and fix. :mrgreen:

Firestryke31 wrote:

Nope. I might upgrade MediaWiki to the latest and install the Monaco themeset, but that's about it.

AJ wrote:
SF +1. And it didn't just have the worst BB software - none of it was particularly 'nice' to use. I just went to their home page and they have changed it since I last used it thoug, so may need to take a look around and change my opinion...

I think it's the same PoS it was before... *sigh*

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 am 

Firestryke31 wrote:

1. phpBB, umm.. can't really remember them all at the moment.
2. By far the best is Apollo. It's only at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/ It's my favorite forum software ever. Sadly, last I checked it had plans of becoming open, but is still proprietary
3. I think it was call vforum of phpboard or something. I had it up a total of 5 days(latest version) before it stopped working cause it was hacked.
4. phpBB and that thing above
5. eh.. there all a pain to setup
6. MegaTokyo FTW (yes, that is a joke)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 am 

1) phpBB and clones/forks, mwForum and BlueSmiley
2) mwForum, simply best Threading Support
3) All phpBB and clones/forks are worse but you get used with it
4) mwForum
5) mwForum speed and good configuration simply best Threading Support
6) guess what right remove phpBB and install mwForum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm 

1) phpBB2, phpBB3, vBulletin, SMF, IPB, MyBB, etc...
2) vBulletin, though phpBB3 is very close
3) SMF. It can be very nice; but the default themes are awful and I find them uncomfortable to use
4) phpBB2, vBulletin, MyBB, SMF
5) vBulletin. The power! I mean, ffs, out of the box you can make it into a perfectly serviceable support ticket system. OK, mods are a bit complex, but you know what? You don't need them. Even with spartan phpBB2 you didn't need many.
6) vBulletin. Theres no competition there.

(Actually, on all the points I would say "ForumOne." Except I haven't finished developing that and it would be a bit biased of me ;))

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:42 pm 

Firestryke31 wrote:

1) PunBB, MyBB, vBulletin, SMF, Vanilla, phpBB, Facebook Discussions (Yes, really), some forum software that MySpace Developer Forums uses, IPB and that's what I remember.
2) I can say vBulletin, Vanilla and SMF.
3) Facebook Discussions and PunBB (I once had a PunBB forum and it got spammed)
4) MyBB, SMF, Vanilla, PunBB and phpBB
5) SMF - it has OpenID now
6) Yes, to SMF :D

Clap now. =D>