OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Point sys
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 am 

I think a point sys would be good (not easy to do) like ebay etc. then if you think that someone has helped you with a problem, you can give them good feed back or bad, if they are nasty.
The same for people answering ?, if they do not say thank or are rude, then you can add them to your "do not help them list" .

Then the ones with the top score, are top of the list when mod placers are up for grabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 pm 

I like this idea. Can we also have a rating for who asks the most interesting questions? ;)

3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:25 pm 

Discrimination is rude... :P

Not a fan of this one.. I'm rude as heck.. but I still "try" to help... hooray for individually and freedom :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:30 pm 

I think this system could be easy to abuse.....ebay is a bit different than a forum.......agree with Brynet here......

PS: What does brynet-inc mean?

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:33 pm 

Alboin wrote:
PS: What does brynet-inc mean?

That a philosophical question? I like to think I represent Happiness and sanity!! :)

As for the meaning of my "Nick name", It's actually quite silly..

Brynet == Bryan's Network
Inc == Incorporated? No clue.. I'm about as creative as a wet sponge..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:41 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Of course the complaints come from those who fear to be put in a disadvantageous position... Humans are so predictable :(

@Alboin: Regarding the abuse, how do you intend to foil a decently designed system without wasting your time creating 100 accounts and get banned for it?

@BI: Discrimination happens all the time - you cant avoid it. You must be some communist extremist to say that it is a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:17 pm 

Combuster wrote:
@Alboin: Regarding the abuse, how do you intend to foil a decently designed system without wasting your time creating 100 accounts and get banned for it?

Good point, actually.

Yet, I think it goes with my second argument: a forum is not like ebay. On ebay, you have one main focus: selling goods. On a forum, you have a very broad spectrum of topics and post types. How does one decide if a post is good or not? This post, for instance. Good, bad, so-so? What if a post is just a comment? Like a smiley, or a few words:
    Good Job! Nice work!
    :lol:
    Why does it do that?

I don't think that all posts can be judged, because often they are short, meaningless, joking, and simple replays; all of which are perfectly acceptable.

Moreover, there are often aggressive discussions which may lead to one user disliking another, and simply marking his\her posts low for no reason.

I was thinking more of abuse amongst these lines. Not the more technical side of it...

vaarwel

PS: What about being put at a 'disadvantageous position'? :)

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:30 am 

Hi,

I use a kayakking web site and the forum on there has karma points which run from about -10 to +10 in addition to the 'star' system. You can vote for someone to gain extra good or bad karma.

No action is taken based on the score, but it gives you a good idea about how helpful someone is. Although some people may be inclined to abuse the system, it should even out in the long run.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject: Re: Point sys
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 am 

Erm... why bother?

Anyone visiting this forum for some time gets his own impression on who is helpful, who deserves help etc., and doesn't need "Karma points" to tell him so.

Anyone who is new to this forum should be fully capable of making his / her own experiences.

On eBay, you want to know if you can trust someone you don't know at all. One, this site is not about "trust", and two, we're a long-term community and not a one-shot auction house.

And at the bottom line, I especially question this line:

Dex wrote:
Then the ones with the top score, are top of the list when mod placers are up for grabs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:24 am 

Solar wrote:

Dex wrote:
Then the ones with the top score, are top of the list when mod place's are up for grabs.
I think its called letting the people decide or democracy ;) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:36 am 

Dex wrote:
Solar wrote:

Dex wrote:
Then the ones with the top score, are top of the list when mod place's are up for grabs.

Mod places aren't up for grabs at any time, the number of mods isn't fixed, there isn't even a relation between your knowledge of OS dev and how good you can moderate. Not to mention the huge potential for abuse the system has.

If you're really interested in making the people decide, why not ask for a directer system, such as the one used on slashdot or other huge sites? It might just be as simple as people voting for either "lock this thread because it's gone hostile" or "this is spam". Then still you need moderators to split threads that have two separate topics interweaved.

What's your point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:26 pm 

I got to voice my opinion on this one since I really think the moderators do a nice job, and I agree there is no relation between being a moderator and operating system knowledge so why are we trying to mix the two?

Quote:
Of course the complaints come from those who fear to be put in a disadvantageous position... Humans are so predictable Sad

@BI: Discrimination happens all the time - you cant avoid it. You must be some communist extremist to say that it is a bad thing.

I can not understand why BI is a communist extremist. I would think the person responding would be the communist extremist. Maybe you can help me with my problem Combuster.

Quote:
2. (often initial capital letter) a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.

If you consider spam, off topic conversation, and hurtful posts the actual property in which moderator's control, and that you would like the entire community to spend time moderating these things then I could understand, but only with a explanation of how to prevent abuse of power.

Quote:
1. a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.

I thought BI was opposing this type of situation, since you did say communist extremist.

Quote:
Of course the complaints come from those who fear to be put in a disadvantageous position... Humans are so predictable Sad

I think we should implement a point system where who ever makes the best contributions to the Wiki gets to have a moderator position so that those seats get rotated around so we do not end up with some sort of communist extremist case you think?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 am 

Dex wrote:

Quote:
Now, I am a firm believer in democracy, but I also believe that there are some fields of human activity in which a count of noses does not provide the best basis for law and order.
-- Theodore M. Bernstein, The Careful Writer