OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disgusted at the forum posts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 pm 

Hello.

I've seen many people come along misleading other people (like Geri). Now I've seen a spammer just cause trouble for the last 10 minutes (from the time I created this). No moderators were around monitoring. When I didn't have an account and was just looking around, even then I saw some fine terrible behavior (behaviour).

We need more moderators and a larger, more active community (for reporting, not spamming). We need stricter rules as well. More users should be online.

Thank you for reading
Steve.

Post subject: Re: Disgusted at the forum posts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

stevewoods1986 wrote:
Hello.

I've seen many people come along misleading other people (like Geri). Now I've seen a spammer just cause trouble for the last 10 minutes (from the time I created this). No moderators were around monitoring. When I didn't have an account and was just looking around, even then I saw some fine terrible behavior (behaviour).

We need more moderators and a larger, more active community (for reporting, not spamming). We need stricter rules as well. More users should be online.

Thank you for reading
Steve.

everybody is here to spread misleading information. everybody is your enemy.
but you see through our camouflage. nobody can outsmart you.
you should be the new admin of this site, i support the idea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm 

There are all sorts of problems - people who post misleading information, people who ask about every point instead of doing a little research themselves, people who ask for advice and then don't heed the advice they are given, people who are just generally disruptive, and the occasional bout of spamming from one disgruntled user.

That last one will be dealt with in due course, and I hardly think that over-moderation is the answer to other problems. A question of the cure being worse than the disease.

It just happens. It's a small community of (mostly) sensible people who can deal with communication without too much hand holding.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm 

Hi,

stevewoods1986 wrote:
When I didn't have an account and was just looking around, I saw some fine terrible behavior (behaviour)
As far as I know, that was to prevent the spammer from DDoS'ing (yes, it's an old spammer). However, this is like you said very irritating (and if you ask me it's also pointless because a spammer can DDoS in other ways too).

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm 

Geri wrote:
stevewoods1986 wrote:
Hello.

Thank you for reading
Steve.

everybody is here to spread misleading information. everybody is your enemy.
but you see through our camouflage. nobody can outsmart you.
you should be the new admin of this site, i support the idea

I thought you hated me 8)

Well, I don't want to be the new admin here. There's too much responsibility. I can volunteer as a moderator if you want but it doesn't matter. Anything to get rid of these irritating people.

None of you need me though as anything. We just need to change (at least a little bit).

glauxosdever wrote:
Hi,

stevewoods1986 wrote:
When I didn't have an account and was just looking around, I saw some fine terrible behavior (behaviour)
As far as I know, that was to prevent the spammer from DDoS'ing (yes, it's an old spammer). However, this is like you said very irritating (and if you ask me it's also pointless because a spammer can DDoS in other ways too).

Regards,
glauxosdever

This idiot has done a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack? Are you serious? This has caused a little bit of trouble.

Well, Geri supports the idea of a larger, more active community and stricter rules. Everyone should :D

Last edited by stevewoods1986 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 pm 

Hi,

stevewoods1986 wrote:
This idiot has done a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack? Are you serious?
Unfortunately, yes.

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm 

Okay, I'm not going to defend Geri but I don't think that insulting him (or anyone else) will ever solve a problem. You ask for more moderators, yet your own behavior doesn't appeal to me, and probably not to anyone else. Spammers and trolls exist on almost all fora, social networks, group chats, and most anywhere else where people can communicate. We just have to learn to deal with it. Of course, the moderators help us to do that, but keep in mind that most people on this site have a real life as well. Some are probably in school/collage, others are probably married and have babies to feed, and so on, and so the probably don't have time to be watching the forums all day long, let alone a few hours per day. Thus, trying to have more moderators or more people online at a given time is not a solution, and just isn't possible given the size of the OSDev community.

Next time, before you recommend changes in the site, maybe you should re-think whatever you're going to say and make sure it isn't against yourself. Your recent questions on the boot sector contradict the way you speak in this thread; some threads say you're just beginning, and other threads say you're at the level of a moderator. I'm not trying to insult you in any way, we were all beginners someday. I'm just saying, don't do anything that will hurt your record in the future.

One last thing, if you ever see anything you don't like, there is a report button. Use it instead of making threads like this that will probably end up with many pages of useless arguing and more arguing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm 

glauxosdever wrote:
Hi,

stevewoods1986 wrote:
This idiot has done a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack? Are you serious?
Unfortunately, yes.

Regards,
glauxosdever

How? Is this the idiot that has been spamming unban me in the OS development forum around a hour ago?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 pm 

omarrx024 wrote:
Okay, I'm not going to defend Geri but I don't think that insulting him (or anyone else) will ever solve a problem. You ask for more moderators, yet your own behavior doesn't appeal to me, and probably not to anyone else. Spammers and trolls exist on almost all fora, social networks, group chats, and most anywhere else where people can communicate. We just have to learn to deal with it. Of course, the moderators help us to do that, but keep in mind that most people on this site have a real life as well. Some are probably in school/collage, others are probably married and have babies to feed, and so on, and so the probably don't have time to be watching the forums all day long, let alone a few hours per day. Thus, trying to have more moderators or more people online at a given time is not a solution, and just isn't possible given the size of the OSDev community.

Next time, before you recommend changes in the site, maybe you should re-think whatever you're going to say and make sure it isn't against yourself. Your recent questions on the boot sector contradict the way you speak in this thread; some threads say you're just beginning, and other threads say you're at the level of a moderator. I'm not trying to insult you in any way, we were all beginners someday. I'm just saying, don't do anything that will hurt your record in the future.

One last thing, if you ever see anything you don't like, there is a report button. Use it instead of making threads like this that will probably end up with many pages of useless arguing and more arguing.

None of our behavior (behaviour) is good here. Geri, well, he has badmouthed a moderator and said I should see a psychologist. I reported one of esmokia emoskia whatever's posts. But who is going to acknowledge it? Brendan is the only moderator I see around. Where are the other ten of moderators? His posts have still not been deleted. Everyone here has a real life (except the bots).

More moderators are good but at different time zones. We need a larger community that are mostly sensible people. You are true with some of the things you say. I'm not really a beginner. I have been doing OS Development for months (before joining this forum). I might say immediate.

By the way, I like the look at your operating system. I'll check it out later on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

stevewoods1986 wrote:
I'm not really a beginner. I have been doing OS Development for months (before joining this forum). I might say immediate.
I'm not going to start an argument about this, but your posts so far show that this is patently untrue.

Pretending a level of ability that you don't have is not the way to make yourself popular.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

iansjack wrote:
stevewoods1986 wrote:
I'm not really a beginner. I have been doing OS Development for months (before joining this forum). I might say immediate.
I'm not going to start an argument about this, but your posts so far show that this is patently untrue.

Pretending a level of ability that you don't have is not the way to make yourself popular.

So far. So good for an 31 year old.

What level of ability do I have? I said I can volunteer if OSDev wants. I didn't ask for moderator. This isn't about me, OK? As long as we have more moderators (regardless who) and a larger community, everything is great.

That makes me think... omarrx024 for moderator!
Geri, invite your friends here and your meme friends. Let's encourage OS development!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

stevewoods1986 wrote:
That makes me think... omarrx024 for moderator!

I'm not active enough, and have to do some serious studying, especially this year and next year because they're my last years of high school.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 pm 

The only moderators around would be sortie, Brendan and thepowersgang.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:51 pm 

stevewoods1986 wrote:
The only moderators around would be sortie, Brendan and thepowersgang.

Combuster, Antti, and Owen do show up infrequently, as well, and 01000101 was here a bit in January (though he didn't post at that time). To the best of my knowledge, the rest of listed moderators are now long gone, by over a decade in a few instances, and they cannot (AFAICT) be removed by anyone except the mostly-absent Chase, who is AFAIK the sole admin and the one who pays for hosting.

Also, I gather from what you and others are saying that @andrewthompson555 has been at it again, or more likely, is still at it - I assume that the only reason I haven't seen his endless attempts to get reinstated for the past two or three months is because the mods are on top of it most of the time. Still, he's been doing this since, what, last November? At this point I have to wonder why he thinks this is so important to him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:58 am 

stevewoods1986 wrote:
So far. So good for an 31 year old.

*cough* Good for a 10 year old *cough*

Yeah about that.
Most osdevers are younger than you. Age is certainly not a factor to brag about. And to be osdeving for a few months means nothing. Certain people learn faster than others, and seeing that you still use bios calls (and still criticize some of the most advances, like @Geri) and can't make a function to read more than one sector, tells me that a few months was clearly not enough for you.