OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Plain English Programming - Another kick at the can.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:35 pm 

Plain English Programming - Another kick at the can.

http://mikegonta.com

Post subject: Re: Plain English Programming - Another kick at the can.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:04 pm 

Hi,

mikegonta wrote:

For English, the words "Uppercase the byte" are unnatural and should be replaced with something like "Convert the byte to upper case".

In fact, all of the code seems stilted and poorly worded. Just replace it with this code:
Code:
To figure out if two strings (that have lengths) are equal; compare the lengths, then compare characters from both strings in order (e.g. first character of one string compared to first character of the other string, then second character of one string compared to second character of the other string, etc). If anything (length or characters) aren't equal then the strings aren't equal. For character comparisons; characters with no difference other than case shall be considered equal.

This shouldn't be a problem for a compiler that compiles plain English.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:17 pm 

Thanks for giving it another kick - I failed to appreciate it properly the last time. Gerry is very impressive, patiently explaining his project over and over again to people who make ridiculous objections to it. He really has built something worthwhile - much better than I'd expected it to be. I will take the time to read up on it properly this time.

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm 

Hi,

DavidCooper wrote:
Thanks for giving it another kick - I failed to appreciate it properly the last time.

The entire point of a plain English compiler is to prevent the need for people to spend a lot of time learning a new language and all of that new language's keywords and rules. This language fails to meet that objective. It'd be easier for someone who knows English to learn Python than it would be to learn the compiler's "plain English" language.

I can admire someone that tried and failed (it is better than not trying at all); but it's obvious that these developers didn't even try.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm 

Brendan wrote:
The entire point of a plain English compiler is to prevent the need for people to spend a lot of time learning a new language and all of that new language's keywords and rules. This language fails to meet that objective.

You're right that it fails, but it's a good effort which succeeds to a much greater degree than I had expected. It does get clunky in places with such weird wording that there's nothing plain about it, but a lot of it does use simple natural wording which does the job. It's a working system which its creator clearly enjoys using and which may appeal to others.

Quote:
I can admire someone that tried and failed (it is better than not trying at all); but it's obvious that these developers didn't even try.

Having read the 120 page manual (which is well written and entertaining), it's clear to me that they did try, and they achieved a lot. However, with individual programmers being able to decide how words are used (i.e. what they mean) to extend the number of words it is able to respond to, I can imagine trouble when two programmers who've worked independently with the language for a long time get together to work on a shared project, although if that isn't a big problem for Forth, it may not be a problem for Plain English either. What really impressed me about it though was how well its creator handled the linguistics without going to the trouble of trying to do natural language properly - I expected it to be a useless pile of pants, but it's actually a high-quality, functional product which deserves to be recognised as such, and which is well worth taking a look at just to see what it does.

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming