OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LowEST Kernel v2012-06-21 Final
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:23 am 

Source Code:
Image LowEST-Kernel-LEVEL-1-base--2012-06-21--src.zip

Video showing how to assemble, run and run a simple external program all from floppy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kKQpa1eQXgU

The LowEST kernel is aimed at serving as a platform to perform the simplest tests, to drive software and hardware through console commands and external programs to make any functionality mature from manual batch-like sequences to formal libraries, subsystems and programs.

It's a 32-bit system written in NASM.

This is the final revision of this version of the kernel. I have revised it to make sure that external programs read from floppy are loaded and executed stably. However, if there are media read errors the system will most likely crash when trying to execute the badly loaded program.

I have only included what is really needed to run. Any error check will be left for later versions. It's been done so to ensure that functions are robust in themselves without the help of exception code, and now regular code and error-handling code will be equally strong on their own.

As is, the kernel has a text console, a few internal commands, PS/2 keyboard, can load external programs from floppy A:\ which must always be written in their raw, low level 8.3 file name form as stored on disk. The programs can import any functions that the kernel exports, there is a sample program that shows how to do it. Everything about the current kernel is at the lowest level of abstraction yet it is directly accessible.

What is Left
Currently I need to play around with this kernel by running programs from Programmer's Heaven, Denthor of Asphyxia, Alexei Frounze, Geezer, OSDever.net, among many others, to take it to its limits. Any functions that I find myself unable to handle with the current kernel codebase or with external snippet programs will be implemented into the kernel.

It's very similar to an absolutely minimal barebones, but with the difference that I made it myself and is public domain.

It's actually ultimately more adequate as a third stage bootloader with low level testing capabilities.

So now I have a console with a simple binary program loader with full hardware access that will allow me to test different code to expand the needed functions as I get to understand them. It will really allow me to perform tests in a way that is really comfortable, allowing me to integrate code gradually as I find out how to pack it into reusable units.

What isn't convenient or clean to test under DOS, will be under this system.

YouTube Development Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AltComp126/videos

Current IP address for hosts file (all subdomains):
190.150.9.244 archefire.org