OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Please delete...
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:37 am 

Please delete...

Last edited by matejeusk on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Areameta 3D OS
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:07 am 

Beginner Mistakes, more specifically this section. Have you read them? If you have nothing to show, why would anyone give up their project to work on yours?

Sidenote: even the biggest and most advanced projects on here generally are unable to recruit people.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:25 am 

You don't need to make an OS just to add nice visuals - it's a waste of time.

Do an application space 3D interface, using Unity or Unreal Engine or sth like that.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 am 

i also fantasized about having 3d in the os (actually my renderer are capable to do it), but i decided not to do it. its an unnecessary toy. i added basic effects and free-scaling to anything, and that satisfyed me.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 am 

matejeusk wrote:
I want to make 3D operating system strongly inspired by
Tron movie (my fav movie) and Snow Crash scifi novel (my fav book).

How does a movie and a sci-fi novel inspire an OS?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 pm 

You need to at least produce some specifications for your intended OS rather than just stating a vague desire. Even then, your chances of persuading someone else to join you in your project (or, more likely, do it for you) are as near zero as makes no difference. Most people are here because they have their own ideas of OS design, not to help someone else realize their dreams.

Try something more reasonable like seeking someone to help you market a working lightcycle.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:03 pm 

@matejeusk: I know that the replies you have gotten so far are going to seem harsh, but I am afraid that they are correct, and that there is a reason for that harshness.

First off, you are stating a desire to have a programming task done, when you are not a programmer yourself, and have not offered any compensation for the task. While open source devs are often willing to take on a challenge, and assist in a project, they generally aren't going to do so just on the primary stakeholder's say-so; there has to be a reason to see the project as viable, and as giving back to the community (or to their own stake in it) first. While there are plenty here who will work on their own project for sheer ego-satisfaction, for most of them, working on someone else's project isn't going to scratch that particular itch.

Thus, in order to get the project going, you would need to either hire one or more developers to serve as the cadre of the dev team, or find an interested partner who is already an OS dev (or a general dev with enough background to dive into OS-Dev), or show that you can manage a software project with no experience as a developer, or learn enough programming and hardware details to start working on the project yourself and build enough momentum to get people interested. None of these is an easy task, and the only one which posting this here might solve is the hardest (getting an experienced dev to lead the project sight unseen).

If you have the money to fund the project, consider hiring a few devs from here. However, that's not a small sum - depending on where they live and their asking price, the amount could be anywhere from $10,000 to $150,000 (US)* per year each, for a project that will span several years. Even if you are sufficiently wealthy to do this, the chances of it returning a profit are infinitesimal (not zero, but damn close to it), so you would be doing it entirely as a labor of love.

* (At current exchange rates, that's approximately €9000-135000, ¥1.1 million-¥17 million (JP), £7700-115,000 (GB), ¥70,000-¥1 million (CNY), ₹650,000-₹10 million (INR), ₹1 million-₹15million (PNR), or 570,000-8.5 million Russian rubles (why there is no symbol for Rubles, I have no idea). However, that's just in terms of international exchange rates; the actual cost of labor will vary depending on the local market in the city or region the devs live. You should probably count on the higher ends of the scale in any case, as experienced OS devs are not at all common anywhere - well, except maybe Seattle (or, rather, Redmond, WA), Boston (well, Cambridge, MA anyway), or the San Francisco Bay area, and most of the ones in those places have six figure positions already and often had tons of experience even before they started working in systems programming.)

Second, you seem to be unclear on the difference between an operating system and a Graphical User Interface, and it seems that you are looking mainly at the former rather than the latter. On most Unix systems, the GUI isn't even part of the OS proper, and runs as a userland application manager; there are several different ones for Linux and BSD, and each has different flavors and styles that can be selected as well. While MacOS and Windows don't make it easy to override the standard GUI, it can be done to some degree (though it isn't a good idea for the most part). Chances are, this is what you want to design, not a full OS (most of which the user would never see and would have no connection to the 3D user interface). Looking into creating a new Linux window manager and/or desktop environment based on X Window System (or Wayland, the replacement of it which is currently coming into use) seems a more promising direction to go for what you want.

Third, you seem to have vastly underestimated the amount of work needed for a usable, stable operating system. I wasn't joking when I said it would be years; just getting a stable kernel (which is something so invisible to the users that you could have different kernels running the same user tools and interface and most people wouldn't be able to tell) takes a year or more, minimum (you can make a shoddy one in less time, but why?). The GUI you seem to want to build is in some ways even more daunting and time-consuming.

Sorry to be a downer, but you need to understand all of this first, and no amount of hype, handwaving, or heroic elan can get you around these facts.

Last edited by Schol-R-LEA on Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:25 pm 

basically Schol-R-LEA is right. the design of the os is actually depends on the programmers and on the fact of usability. its not something that can be influenced by regular people based on they ideas.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 am 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
or 570,000-8.5 million Russian rubles (why there is no symbol for Rubles, I have no idea

Because it was added a few years ago, relatively recently, so it didn't gain enough traction yet.

Code:

RUBLE SIGN
Unicode: U+20BD, UTF-8: E2 82 BD

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am 

dozniak wrote:
Schol-R-LEA wrote:
or 570,000-8.5 million Russian rubles (why there is no symbol for Rubles, I have no idea

Because it was added a few years ago, relatively recently, so it didn't gain enough traction yet.

OK, thanks. It didn't show up on the Wicked-Pedo page for 'Ruble', though looking again is does show up on the page for 'Russian ruble', so either no one got around to adding it, or they see it as applying only to the current Russian ruble and not historical ones or non-Russian currency using the same name (it isn't shown for the pages on Byelorusian or Transnistrian rubles either).

OK, digression done (I hope) and we can re-rail this thread again, assuming that the OP still wants to discuss this.

@matejeusk: As I was saying, a big part of this is that, well, this isn't the first time someone came into a forum - or even this specific forum - with nothing but a dream and the hope to get someone else interested in doing all or part of the work for them. It won't be the last, either. It really constitutes a misunderstanding of the usual dynamics of open source, which mainly is about scratching your own itch, then after you've done that, saying, "hey, anyone else need something like this?" Most successful projects don't go evangelizing or asking for help until they have a solid foundation - not just an idea, but code that is written, running, and at least partly tested and debugged - before publicly announcing that they could use volunteers.

While your intentions might be good, they happen to hit a raw nerve with a lot of programmers, as it looks like either laziness ("if you want to do it, learn how to do it yourself and come back when you have something you are stuck on!") or exploitation ("why should we do all this free work for you and you get all the credit?") to a lot of folks. Whether it is or not, and whether it is fair to judge you this way or not, those two reactions are inevitable here.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:13 pm 

You are right.

So how can I help you with your own OS...

I can do icons, mouse pointers, logos.
I can dologon music, sound effects.

Also I can test your OS on my "HAIKU/SYLLABLEOS" machines:
HP thin client (VIA 400MHZ, 128MB RAM, USB, 1600x1200max, 8GB CF), AC97
IBM Netvista P4 3GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD, USB, SAPPHIRE RADEON 7000 64M PCI, AC97

But I will also focus on my AM 3D OS.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm 

matejeusk wrote:
You are right.

So how can I help you with your own OS...

I can do icons, mouse pointers, logos.
I can dologon music, sound effects.

Also I can test your OS on my "HAIKU/SYLLABLEOS" machines:
HP thin client (VIA 400MHZ, 128MB RAM, USB, 1600x1200max, 8GB CF), AC97
IBM Netvista P4 3GHz, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD, USB, SAPPHIRE RADEON 7000 64M PCI, AC97

But I will also focus on my AM 3D OS.
You could help by teaching how to make those things one at a time.

Make video tutorials about that, showing each practical step, and you are guaranteed to produce truly reusable information that others can learn from.

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 pm 

~ wrote:
Make video tutorials about that, showing each practical step, and you are guaranteed to produce truly reusable information that others can learn from.

Anyone who takes OS development seriously knows they aren't supposed to follow tutorials. And since his most recent post doesn't even show anything related to OSDev (i.e. designing icons, cursors and making sounds), I'm pretty sure a person who is serious about graphics design or sound creation wouldn't follow tutorials either, but instead learn how to use the program they are using (i.e. Photoshop, FL Studio).

EDIT: And if he did make tutorials, they shouldn't be videos, as they can't be edited and thus any mistakes just stay there.