OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: U365 1.1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

U365 1.1 is released! (actually it's released a month ago, I just forgot to make the post. Sorry for that)

Changelog:

My command interpreter, ISH, was rewritten a bit and now it supports return codes. Anyway hard-coding shell into the kernel is just plainly wrong. I just don't have any choice as my OS can't load executable files yet.
    Code looks more beautiful now, huge source file called cmds.c is broken to 5-10 small files that represent shell commands.
    ISH now has comment support! Finally. I've been too lazy to do that simple thing before.
    ELF loading (almost) works. We have a simple program running on U365 :)
    All FS-related programs like cd, ls or cat are forced to exit with error message so new users won't be confused by strange bugs and system crashes. FS is really broken now.
    U365 displays random funny message when boot process finishes. Funny but useless. Mainly these messages are about crashy nature of U365 and my conflicts with some OS developers like DiamondSoft (closed by me, haha. Hated them too much) and with my previous team member Artem Klimov.

Minimal system requirements: 256 MB of RAM.

Screenshots:

Download
Please rate my work, try to run it and send me the screenshots if i'll work, I will appreciate.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.

Post subject: Re: U365 1.1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 pm 

After testing it for a while I can conclude:
Fact 1: it crashed (got stuck) 10 out of 5 times. Literally every time. Which means I had to restart my virtual box every time I turned it on.
Fact 2: 90% of the time a command was the cause, other 10% is because I tried to type right after it loaded.
Fact 3: when I wanted to typed "***********" I only got some strange vertical lines with dots across the screen. :D
Fact 4: that mouse cursor keeps having epileptic seizures.
Fact 5: message log like command looks very professional I really enjoyed it. =D>
Fact 6: elf loaded just fine
Fact 7: once you try to use the desktop there is no coming back
Fact 8: mouse click breaks the entire OS?
Fact 9: no clear command???
Fact 10: nothing font related works

Conclusion: Input(semi happy person) Output(frustrated user). You have a bug that keeps your system very unstable. It is really annoying to have to restart your virtual box every 5 seconds and very 15 more for it to load. Please please please don't take this too hard. I am trying to be as objective as possible. There are some great features too. Such as loading programs, cool message log output, graphics interface, true type font support, file system, multi tasking, great keyboard driver, etc... All in all not that bad, looking forward to it. I would also like to say that I hate your decision to split your commands into separate files. That is a pure waste of time, space, and adds more unnecessary complexity. That is my honest opinion. Keep working you seem to have a solid core to build your OS on top of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, octacone!

Yeah, it's very unstable now. It was even more unstable in 1.0... My mouse driver needs some fixes. Elf loaded just fine?! Awesome! Desktop should exit when you press Enter, it was just a simple test. Yep, there's no clear command (yet), it will appear magically in 1.2 though. I know about this bug that f*cks up everything but me and my team couldn't fix it for a YEAR! of the development. We partially fixed it, but something is left there and we have crashes, glitches etc.

This message was written from my smartphone. It definitely has grammar mistakes.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:36 pm 

What do you mean by "vertical lines with dots across the screen"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 pm 

About splitting the commands: I did it just because finding one function in 600+ lines of code is.. uh, boring for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 pm 

Specially for OSDev: uname is coming! 1.2 will be released soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:37 am 

I've tried it and I've found many issues. The mouse, for instance, doesn't move normally. When moving it to the left, it flies everywhere in the screen. When moving it up out of the range of the screen, it goes through and re-appears at the bottom of the screen. I also noticed scrolling is very slow. Are you using double buffering? If not, you should, as reading from the video memory is a very bad practice, and it would be even worse on real HW. It was slow on one of the fastest virtual machines (VirtualBox.) I also tried "surface desktop" and after pressing Enter, it closed as expected, but after pressing Enter again at the empty command prompt, I got an error:
Code:
ish: no such command:

And the system froze. I cannot press any keys yet I can move the mouse, and its movement is still distorted the way I explained above. So I pressed Ctrl+R to reset the virtual machine and it booted like expected, except the keyboard and mouse weren't responding. I couldn't type commands or move the mouse.

If I were you, I'd fix my keyboard and mouse driver first. And then I'd tweak the performance. Out of interest, are you using SSE? How are you scrolling the screen? How is your memcpy optimized? How many bits per pixel are in the display mode? I'd definitely recommend supporting only 32-bit modes, as it simplifies things everywhere and practically all cards since the early 2000's support 32-bit graphics modes with acceptable resolutions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:52 am 

osdeverr wrote:

Like this:
Attachment:
fontwriteBug.png
fontwriteBug.png [ 24.76 KiB | Viewed 6875 times ]

Also:
1.Press enter more than 1 time
2.Wait for some time
3.Randomly press keys
4.Result: (screen starts scrolling forever + mouse gets bugged)
Attachment:
AutoScrollingBug.png
AutoScrollingBug.png [ 12.97 KiB | Viewed 6875 times ]

I hope you can fix these. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:55 am 

Attachment:
u365.jpg
u365.jpg [ 17.83 KiB | Viewed 6875 times ]

How long am I supposed to wait?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
Attachment:
u365.jpg

How long am I supposed to wait?

What virtual machine do you use and what's its specs?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 am 

octacone wrote:
osdeverr wrote:

Like this:
Attachment:
fontwriteBug.png

Also:
1.Press enter more than 1 time
2.Wait for some time
3.Randomly press keys
4.Result: (screen starts scrolling forever + mouse gets bugged)
Attachment:
AutoScrollingBug.png

I hope you can fix these. :)

Ah, about the first bug: I know what causes it. It was a simple mistake in surface_fill_rect that caused strange behavior when you try to draw directly on the screen. Fixed it now :)
I know nothing about second bug though. Let me reproduce it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 am 

osdeverr wrote:

It has a Xeon E3-1200 v3 series CPU and at least 8GB of RAM. It's not a virtual machine. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:33 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
osdeverr wrote:

It has a Xeon E3-1200 v3 series CPU and at least 8GB of RAM. It's not a virtual machine. :P

I don't know what it caused by then, but I know that my OS hangs same way on VMWare :(