OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sample 64-bit Kernel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:27 pm 

This is a test kernel I wrote for an AMD64 3000+ around year 2007 in an MSI K8MM-V motherboard with 2 Gigabytes of RAM and an AGP NVidia graphics card with 512 Megabytes of RAM.

This is a 64-bit kernel, so it could be useful to show how to set it up.

It boots from Real Mode boot code to 32-bit mode.
From there, it enables paging, PAE and a 64-bit code selector to enter Long Mode.

I have learned several things since then, like implementing portable assembly code, starting my kernels/OSes from DOS and trying to go back, invoking my own programs from a console of my own OS from a floppy...; so I plan to add those features to a minimal driver-like kernel core module that I will have to rewrite for 16/32/64-bit.

Meanwhile, here is the source code I wrote as a sample to enter 64-bit mode around years 2007-2009 at the same time of a more capable but equally tiny 32-bit kernel and other projects to handle several file formats. I hope it serves as a simple and good enough example on writing a 64-bit kernel that is portable despite being written in assembly.
Image http://archive.org/download/amd64_devel/ArcheFireOS64__2009-10-06.zip

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1

Post subject: Re: Sample 64-bit Kernel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:34 am 

As long you use archive.org as cloud no one will ever post to your threads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 pm 

I know it is a bit late to be adding my two cents, but I agree with Lukand. At the very least, you should have to courtesy to post it to somewhere that is set up for viewing code in some manner - Github, Cloudforge, Bitbucket, anything like that. At this point, even Pastebin would be an improvement.

I get that this is your old site, and that for what ever reason you cannot or will not pay for the hosting of it, or find a new host. But what you are doing right now is both counter-productive, and a misuse - nay, misunderstanding - of archive.org and the Wayback Machine service.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:08 pm 

I had a look at the code, your commenting style sure is... interesting. The comments alone are worth a look.
I had a look at the code, your commenting style sure is... interesting. The comments alone are worth a look.
; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;