OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:BlueIllusion OS 0.034 is outta there!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:41 am 

srg wrote:
I know that it's loading from floppy, but do you try to read or write the the hard disk's controllers?
Also, what file system is the disk formatted in. Windows XP can't read it and on my main machine, bochs can't read it either, so I have to use the image rather than my written disk.
There are some weired floppy drive noises (although I'm taking them to be normal) and then...............reset.

My uneducated guess is you have a bad floppy / a bad floppy drive? Are you sure they aren't bad? That'd explain all three of them (bochs only refuses disks that it cannot read, not invalid ones).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:18 am 

Or the image I've uploaded is a buggy one. I'll check that at the evening. What puzzles me is:

I take my test floppy, insert it in any computers floppy drive (at home, at work), and have the machine load it. It loads and finally arrives at the shell, waiting for commands.

It is possible, that the floppy image is to be blamed for the issues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:54 am 
Candy wrote:
srg wrote:
I know that it's loading from floppy, but do you try to read or write the the hard disk's controllers?
Also, what file system is the disk formatted in. Windows XP can't read it and on my main machine, bochs can't read it either, so I have to use the image rather than my written disk.
There are some weired floppy drive noises (although I'm taking them to be normal) and then...............reset.

My uneducated guess is you have a bad floppy / a bad floppy drive? Are you sure they aren't bad? That'd explain all three of them (bochs only refuses disks that it cannot read, not invalid ones).

I've tested it on more than one floppy disk and in more than one disk drive and it's just the same.

srg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:43 am 
@beyond infinity: it would be handy if you write your OS in english.
My plan is going to distribute my OS in English and of course in Dutch ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:01 am 

Have put a new version online.

I hope,that at least one or two of the old bugs preventing it to start up on some machines are resolved.

Look at www.distantvoices.org, section BlueIllusionOS for the downloads,and below is a screen shot of what to expect.

The Floppy Driver still refuses to work in the bocks, so I've switched over to VMware for testing purposes. Thats where all the nice screen shots come from.

Thank you for feedback and crucial bug reports.

btw: if it starts up correctly, try out the command 'gui' and see what happens. *gg* Maybe you'll find out that it 's got a start button finally *rofl*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:30 am 
I've just tested it on 2 machines and VMWare, it worked on 2 out of the 3 .

On my Slot A Thunderbird machine, it still gets to fertig and then nothing.

On my Sony laptop (Athlon XP 1400+) it works! It get to the command prompt and runs ok. But the gui doesn't work because there doesn't seem to be a VBE2.0 BIOS and it uses an ATI graphics adaptor which is reported as Not Supported.

In VMWare everything works ok, as long as the VM has at least the required 64MB of RAM. I'm running the gui as type this and it's very stable (not crashed yet anyway), but it's very very slow (probably the fault of the VBE BIOS). The mouse pointer also lags when the floppy drive is being read. Also on the bock that you can moe with the mouse, little artifacts appear on it when it's clicked on.

Anyway, a nice effort, just a shame that it still won't run on my Slot-A TBird, all the other OSs I've tried on it run fine.

BTW I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but why 64MB, that seems an awful lot.

srg