OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PhotonOS v0.0.1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:35 am 

After 2 months of work, I have something that I think can be named a kernel :)) It is named Photon.
Features:
  • Basic VGA driver with support for 15 colours
  • Keyboad driver for US
  • Interrupts enabled
  • Something that can be named paging
  • A C Standard Library with less than 30 functions :))) and almost useless because I don't have user programs support
  • A little user interface with a shell (with some commands)
  • Very small docs

Here is the code (first commit): https://github.com/JustBeYou/PhotonOS (you can find in src folder a iso image of kernel if you want to test)

Kernel isn't stable, so don't try to run on real hardware... Test in VM... After boot up, log in type 'help' and you will see available commands of shell.

PS: I am searching some guys (beginners) that want to work with me at this project. If you want, please post here or mail me at [email protected]

Some image:

Post subject: Re: PhotonOS v0.0.1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:59 am 

Hello

I've tried your OS in QEMU. Works really well, it didn't crash, I have a couple of suggestions:

• Typos in help: "test available commands" and not "test avabile commands", "can be stopped" and not "can be stoped"
  • Not sure about this one but in time you display the milliseconds after a colon, shouldn't this be a dot? Also, maybe it's a good idea to always display two digits for hours, minutes and seconds. (eg: 00:02:19.42 instead of 0:2:19:42)
  • When I exit the shell, the system panics. Is this intended behaviour?

Keep up your good work and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:48 am 

Hello!

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry for my English, I am still learning.
I will modify the clock display to standard format (00:00:00.00) soon.
Yes, when shell exit, the kernel must panic, but I modify it, so when it will exit you will receive the login screen.

PS: in 'help' it isn't specified that i have a 'reboot' command too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 am 

I tried PhotonOS and I have to say that keyboard responds a bit slowly (maybe is it a problem with vbox?). Also tests shouldn't be better passed as arguments to "test" command (eg "test size")?
But you have done many things I haven't done still, like implementing time, paging, memory allocation and a panic screen. :D Looking forward to the next release.

Regards,
glauxosdev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:16 am 

Hi

In my VirtualBox and Qemu the keyboard works fine. Anyway I will try to improve the driver if it is possible.
Now, I am focused on implementing multi-tasking and file system. When I will finish this, I will try to write a system that can run apps in command line and accept arguments. At last, I will write a 'test' app that accept command line arguments and execute specific test :))

If I add now the feature of arguments to test, I will need to use substrings and there will be more and more 'if' statements (there are already a lot, I don't want more, because code already looks ugly). I don't want to write a complex shell with many features until I don't implement multi-tasking, file system and a system for running apps.

I think the next relase (v0.0.2) will be ready in May and it will contain multi-tasking and system calls. After that, the developing will slow down because I have a big exam in June.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:32 am 

I think that the development is going faster than I thought. After some work (only 5 days huh...) I implemented tty switching. PhotonOS supports 3 ttys. You can change current tty by writing in shell "tty" and I will be switched.

Code & Iso: https://github.com/JustBeYou/PhotonOS
Current Version: v0.0.1d

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:52 am 

On mobile. Someone please link him the James Molloy tutorial known bugs wiki page. This OS has some of the very nasty bugs like register corruption.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 am 

Here: http://wiki.osdev.org/James_Molloy%27s_Tutorial_Known_Bugs