OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Special IDE specially designed for OS Developers!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:18 am 

Free and open source IDE for X86 Operating System Development: http://bestsoft.azurewebsites.net/bestsoft-space

Post subject: Re: Special IDE specially designed for OS Developers!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 pm 

The website give no indication of features. Why should I spend the time to download this IDE? What does it do for me that isn't easily accomplished already?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm 

I'm not sure what funky effect you have on the website but it hurts my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
It's what all webdesigners try to show off to get a job and nobody wants to use it in practice because it's horrible. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:15 pm 

I'm absolutely uninterested in this, to extent I think I should explain why.

You cannot use this software on your own personal operating system, without significant work porting a Java Runtime. (I'm very far, and even that is well beyond me at this time. Perhaps in a year or two.) If you do serious operating systems development, you want to become self-hosting. Relying on an difficult to port host tools makes it much harder to become truly self-hosting. Pick your tools and development environment so you can port them.

Reading the source code, it looks like a small low quality Java project. The interface is filled with typos. The handling of exceptions seems to be printing a stack trace and carrying on. The source code seems to be suspiciously small. I don't think it's all of the source code in the download? You also seem to ship a copy of nasm, instead of using the one from the distribution. The sloppy indention suggest sloppy coding. The update code worries me. The publish code in Mian.java (you know how to spell right?) is also suspicious. It has a 2000 milisecond wait for no second. Don't know how to wait for processes to finish or want to seem more professional by having long build times? You hard-code the paths of tools that should be in the path.

It doesn't seem malicious, but the project is very unimpressive and no one will want to use it as it. Java user interfaces also tend to be abysmal.

I like the website. The first thing I see is:
Code:
Hey.

Welcome to Bestsoft Space for Linux /p>

I think that sums up my opinion.

Btw: Don't take my harsh words personally. I criticize code, not people. I'm an experienced developer and have high standards and hold the software I use to the same standards. You can do better, much better. You're trying to be professional here, which is good, but you are only pretending to be professional, you're not being professional. Do you actually expect osdevers to use your software? You're an aspiring developer, I assume, but you might currently be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect, where you overestimate your skills and underestimate how much you have to learn. That's okay, most people do that, but it helps being aware.

If you'd like to improve, tell us, and we can arrange reading through your source code and giving detailed criticism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13 am 

I have seen this on their website:
http://bestsoft.azurewebsites.net/bestsoft-space/ wrote:
Code:
        [...]
kk:
        call kk
        cmp eax, 4
        [...]

I think they are poor OS developers. They don't even know that this can cause stack over-flow.

Last edited by Muazzam on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 am 
Bestsoft wrote:
Free and open source IDE for X86 Operating System Development: http://bestsoft.azurewebsites.net/bestsoft-space

If downloaded one can find there some standard applications like qemu, nasm, dd and others. Also there is just one understandable code file which is named "bootloader.asm". Few other source files look like asm code, but are found under the Dash directory, which (as far as I can understand) is some new language advertised on the web page. And that's all sources we have in the downloaded zip file.

Having this information I just can't see anything useful in this project. May be some documentation can help? Or it is supposed that everybody thinks just like the author of the project and sees all his needs fulfilled with the proposed new language? But how one can know what rules are invented for the new language? Another point is about installer. It looks like a chinese virus "run me". No explanations and a lot of advertising on the web page. So, why one should run the chinese virus? What consequences will it lead to?

And I agree that web page looks just ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 am 

On the background I saw some primitive unattractive user interface, and in the front absolutely no description. Why should I get interested in it and download it?

Attachments:
Снимок экрана 2015-02-02 в 18.30.46.png
Снимок экрана 2015-02-02 в 18.30.46.png [ 85.27 KiB | Viewed 12074 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 am 

muazzam wrote:
Code:
        [...]
kk:
        call kk
        cmp eax, 4
        [...]

I think they are poor OS developers. They even does not know this cause stack overflow.

You can't assert that without seeing the rest of the code.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 am 

iansjack wrote:

But I am quite sure that this code is to halt the system. Such as "jmp $" or "hlt".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 am 

embryo wrote:
So, why one should run the chinese virus? What consequences will it lead to?

I don't think it's malicious, just very poorly made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:02 am 

muazzam wrote:
Code:
        [...]
kk:
        call kk
        cmp eax, 4
        [...]

I think they are poor OS developers. They even does not know this cause stack overflow.

Hahaha, at least I'm not the only one who noticed this. :mrgreen: =D>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06 am 

muazzam wrote:
iansjack wrote:

But I am quite sure that this code is to halt the system. Such as "jmp $" or "hlt".

But without seeing the rest of the code you can't tell whether this snippet is ever run. If it isn't then it's not going to cause stack overflow (indeed, it's not going to have any effect).

And, even if the code is run and causes the stack to overflow, perhaps that is the point of it. Perhaps it is code to test the behaviour of the OS when the stack overflows. After all, this is not necessarily a disaster - there might be some mechanism in the OS to deal with this eventuality, such as allocating more stack space or killing the errant process.

Without seeing the code in it's entirety we cannot comment that it is poor programming. Perhaps they are very good programmers who wish to test exceptional cases.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 pm 

I think that ASM is long overdue for a refresh with modern tools, or maybe due for a modern "competitor" to come along. There are several threads discussing exactly these topics on this site.

Here's just one that I found in my own post history: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28466

So, I'm all for anyone who wants to attempt this from the IDE side OR the programming language side. This project appears to be trying to do both, which is great, assuming that the IDE ends up being a great IDE, and the language ends up being a great language. But this is like saying that you are going to try to win an Olympic gold medal in both Weight Lifting and Gymnastics. Technically possible, but extremely unlikely. :)

Still, more power to the developers trying to pull this off. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 am 

SpyderTL wrote:
Here's just one that I found in my own post history: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28466

Someone linked to one of my posts :D

The website seems to contain a number of spelling mistakes. Also, that it's hosted on Microsoft Azure for free seems kind of shady to me for some reason, especially considering Bestsoft (not BestSoft which CAN be found) can't be found anywhere but the site in question. Might just be starting out though. The fact that there's no "About" section, or a license included in any of the source files leads me to conclude they're either unprofessional or plainly unaware.

Also, the name Dash (the programming language mentioned) is already taken by a UNIX shell.