OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: openfunix 0.1 released
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 am 

Shaun wrote:
Arto wrote:
Are you aware of the Toybox project, by the way? It's a permissively-licensed userland implementation whence you could get implementations of all basic utilities, such as indeed ls.

enh,i have no aware of that, it seems like that toybox has the same functionality with busybox, i will dig into it to find some useful information. thanks for the tips.

Yes, Toybox is a project by Rob Landley, who was the former BusyBox maintainer. He's the guy who started the infamous BusyBox GPL-enforcement lawsuits and then lost control of them after they became a nasty self-perpetuating and self-funding lawyer-enrichment machine.

After he got burned out by the lawsuits and left the BusyBox project, he is now rewriting BusyBox from scratch under much more permissive licensing (possibly fully public domain, in the future, based on conversations I've had with him). It's a project with huge potential, given that BusyBox currently provides the userland for about every single consumer electronic device running Linux. And Toybox could also help give a leg up to everyone here who is working on Unix-like systems.

Don't miss Landley's presentation about all this: Embedded Linux Conference 2013 - Toybox: Writing a New Command Line From Scratch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 am 

I recommend not making it Open* if the code is not freely available, and not naming it *nix if it isn't an Unix.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:21 pm 

sortie wrote:
I recommend not making it Open* if the code is not freely available, and not naming it *nix if it isn't an Unix.
You're the second one to tell that, but obviously nothing has changed. It's a misleading name. Misleading names suck really bad. Sadly, some people don't realize it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:38 am 

no92 wrote:
sortie wrote:
You're the second one to tell that, but obviously nothing has changed. It's a misleading name. Misleading names suck really bad. Sadly, some people don't realize it.

enn, since i haven't got a suitable name so i decided to rename it to shaunos.

to be honest, i tested lots of names in the past two days but the result is annoying, quite a lot of them remains unavailable, and i do not wanna spend too much time on it .

sorry for troubles caused by the misleading name.

Any good tips or suggestions about it are appreciate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:48 am 

Shaun wrote:
no92 wrote:
sortie wrote:

enn, since i haven't got a suitable name so i decided to rename it to shaunos.

to be honest, i tested lots of names in the past two days but the result is annoying, quite a lot of them remains unavailable, and i do not wanna spend too much time on it .

sorry for troubles caused by the misleading name.

Any good tips or suggestions about it are appreciate.

Aren't you going to make it Unix-compatible and open source? If you are, there will be no need to change the name.