OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DS-OS Website Resurrected
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:46 pm 

Hi Guys,

The DS-OS project was a small OS written for 8086 machines back in the late 90's. Includes kernel, boot loader, command interpreter, PS/2 mouse driver, sample application, and installation program. Code is written in 8086 assembly for the A86 assembler. The website was taken down some time in the early 2000's but I found it on an archive and reconstructed it along with its data files on a new server here:

http://itfromterabit.net/dsos

I am the author of this OS but I have not touched it since 1999--the files/data/website are exactly as they were back then. If there is any interest I can put this on github. It's small, but should be a fully functional OS at least on PCs of that time (can boot from a floppy or HD). I also have a text editor for this OS but never got around to putting it on the website--if you'd like I can post it also. If you find any of this useful drop me a line :-)

David Sicilia

Post subject: Re: DS-OS Website Resurrected
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:20 am 

Hey dpacbach,

really cool to see such an old project being resurrected. Must have been some nice work to find the necessary docs and information at that time. Props! :P
Any plans on a DS-OS2? :)

Greets,
Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 am 

Hi Max,
Thank you- at this point no plans for DS-OS2... I'd be happy if I had a machine on which to run DS-OS, but I've long since given up my old PCs :-) Would be nice if we could run these things in VirtualBox...
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:24 pm 

dpacbach wrote:
Would be nice if we could run these things in VirtualBox...

Try running it in DOSBox (or BoxOn ;) If you map a directory as a local disk you could use files from your host OS through the 0x13 BIOS interrupt to share data between the 2 OS's.

OS project: venom OS
Hexadecimal Editor: hexed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:26 pm 

Hi b.zaar,
Wow looks like I'm a bit behind the times, thank you I'll give that a try--
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:12 am 

dpacbach wrote:
I'd be happy if I had a machine on which to run DS-OS, but I've long since given up my old PCs :-)
I've got some old computers that I could run it on for you - although I don't know if they're old enough. Perhaps you could give me some easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions for setting this up and then I can try it out for you? Let me know if you're interested...

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm 

Hi onlyonemac,
I seem to remember that if you have a PC from the that era with a floppy drive and MS-DOS then you can run the INSTALL.COM file (an MS-DOS program) to install the IMAGE.BIN file onto the floppy drive, then just boot from the floppy and it should work. The install program, when run, will tell you that it is about to erase the contents of drive A: with the image file--when you press "y" it will do so. If you have another way though to get the image onto the floppy which works better for you then I imagine that would work too, as the installation program does nothing but copy it over. If you like I can give you the source to the INSTALL.COM file if you'd rather look at it or assemble it yourself.
David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:04 pm 

dpacbach wrote:
Hi onlyonemac,
I seem to remember that if you have a PC from the that era with a floppy drive and MS-DOS then you can run the INSTALL.COM file (an MS-DOS program) to install the IMAGE.BIN file onto the floppy drive, then just boot from the floppy and it should work. The install program, when run, will tell you that it is about to erase the contents of drive A: with the image file--when you press "y" it will do so. If you have another way though to get the image onto the floppy which works better for you then I imagine that would work too, as the installation program does nothing but copy it over. If you like I can give you the source to the INSTALL.COM file if you'd rather look at it or assemble it yourself.
David

Any Unix-like system (Unix, OS X, etc) will have dd, which can be used to blast an image to a floppy. Furthermore, most virtual machines can load a raw image file on the host system directly as an emulated floppy.

EDIT:

In fact, yes, just rename image.bin to image.img, and VirtualBox will accept it as a floppy disk, from which DS-OS can be booted without any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 pm 

Wow that actually works! I never thought I'd see the OS running again, but I guess I was wrong :-) It might actually be easy to continue developing this OS now...
Thank you
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:02 am 

dpacbach wrote:
Wow that actually works! I never thought I'd see the OS running again, but I guess I was wrong :-) It might actually be easy to continue developing this OS now...
Thank you
David

Are you going to continue developing this OS? Or are you going to start a new project? Maybe a 32/64-bit OS?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 am 

dpacbach wrote:
Hi onlyonemac,
David
I shouldn't have any problems getting the image onto a floppy disk and I've got a 486-based PC which I can test it on. Is that old enough :) ?

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:59 pm 

If you boot DS-OS on a 486 PC it will be like taking an animal from a zoo and putting it in its natural habitat... DS-OS will be overjoyed and filled with the feeling of "nostalgia for the present." ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 pm 

dpacbach wrote:
"nostalgia for the present."

It's not about nostalgia... It's about a culture

OS project: venom OS
Hexadecimal Editor: hexed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:52 am 

hey, even I`m working on a project similar to yours (here) but i still could not finish it since i didn`t have much spare time since may :oops: . I intend to finish it as soon as i get some spare time. :)