OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: I'm looking to recruit developers for a startup company.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 am 

embryo wrote:
But one more point is bothering me - is it enough to write just IDE with low and high level code support? It seems that it's perfectly enough. Why then you think a new hardware will be of any use?

Imagine hardware perfectly designed to accomplish what it is we've been discussing. Sure, you can lob some firmware onto an ARM chip and have it chug away at whatever you need it to do. Or, you can meticulously craft a hardware environment to make the software you run do so as smooth as possible. This means implementing USB controller chips to handle interrupts so the microprocessor doesn't have to, external memory devices so that you can use a module independent from the ARM core itself to perform copy operations, etc. The hardware has been meticulously crafted to do just that. A lot of thought has been put into what can be streamlined and what has to be left to suffer from the inefficiencies of the processor.

embryo wrote:
Operating system delivers a relatively well defined set of services to the user programs. The services include memory management, process management, device management, some overall system management including bootstrapping, means of user friendly (i.e. UI) resource management, resource enumeration, services like timers, ACPI and so on.

These are among the tasks that I would need this 'firmware' to do. I need to manage virtual memory to ensure that programs don't try to access memory that doesn't belong to them. Process management to handle how much of the CPUs resources are being given to parts of the operating system and different parts of the active programs at a given point in time, and of course, the 'user interface' that is the command line that enables the hardware to be controlled without first being programmed.

embryo wrote:
I'm really interested in buying something simple but yet powerful from the microcontroller world. It's not a near time goal, but I plan to try to manage some devices sometime in the future (and multicopter is one of such things).

Let me know what you find. Maybe you'll like what you see when this product is released. :lol:

embryo wrote:
In my view it is all about the IDE. May be it is better idea to look for developers of IDE? If you plan to finish your OS in a month, then the only thing which worth attention is the IDE. And IDE requires a bit different approach than osdeving.

Trust me, I've been perfecting the IDE. I have developers for the whole backend of this project. I'm looking for OS developers because, right now, they are who I need.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
SonyQrio wrote:
Trust me
Where's the contract? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am 

Combuster wrote:
Where's the contract? :wink:

In the 6th page of flash memory starting at the 9th byte. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm 
SonyQrio wrote:
Or, you can meticulously craft a hardware environment to make the software you run do so as smooth as possible. This means implementing USB controller chips to handle interrupts so the microprocessor doesn't have to

From osdeving point of view it looks like a nonsense. Are you the same person that just a few posts above have talked about maximal control? If you will implement USB in some non standard way then it will be not a USB controller and developer will have no control over it's functionality.

Of course, it is possible to imagine some "USB-like" device, but why to introduce another piece of complexity? And why to hide interrupt handling from OS developer?
SonyQrio wrote:
you can use a module independent from the ARM core itself to perform copy operations

Do you mean a DMA implementation is missing in most of SoC ARM chips? And are you invented some kind of hardware to imitate the DMA? It's something unexpected for me. But my knowledge in the wide area of microcontrollers is limited.
SonyQrio wrote:
The hardware has been meticulously crafted to do just that. A lot of thought has been put into what can be streamlined and what has to be left to suffer from the inefficiencies of the processor.

I hope you know what you are doing. But it seems like reinventing the wheel (if my understanding is correct, of course).
SonyQrio wrote:
I need to manage virtual memory to ensure that programs don't try to access memory that doesn't belong to them. Process management to handle how much of the CPUs resources are being given to parts of the operating system and different parts of the active programs at a given point in time, and of course, the 'user interface' that is the command line that enables the hardware to be controlled without first being programmed.

It means your device will be closer to "high end" side of the microcontroller's spectrum. It's nice to have a lot of power, but the costs can be impressive too. I hope you understand all pros and cons.
SonyQrio wrote:
Maybe you'll like what you see when this product is released.

It seems interesting. I hope you have paid attention to some modularization of your device for me to have an option to detach everything from it to control it's weight for a multicopter :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 am 

The board will retail somewhere in the range of $30 - $50. It all depends on how much money it costs to finish the project.

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly take it into account.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:56 pm 

Bump of sorts.

I'm still very interested in finding someone who might be willing to work with me on this project.

Part time work is acceptable, and is, in fact, preferred! :)

Please, don't hesitate to contact me. I'd love the chance just to discuss the project with someone!

- George (SQ)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Well so far I can see you being unable to make guarantees and that you lack a solid business plan and administration skills. That basically makes it a bad idea to sign up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 am 

Combuster wrote:
Well so far I can see you being unable to make guarantees and that you lack a solid business plan and administration skills. That basically makes it a bad idea to sign up.

I believe that you have that confused with my being stingy when it comes to releasing information on the device. I have a solid business plan, and as our current employees can attest, solid administration skills. I don't think that it would be fair to make such a judgement until we've met and talked about the project over Skype under an NDA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:21 pm 

SonyQrio wrote:
Combuster wrote:

I believe that you have that confused with my being stingy when it comes to releasing information on the device. I have a solid business plan, and as our current employees can attest, solid administration skills. I don't think that it would be fair to make such a judgement until we've met and talked about the project over Skype under an NDA.

Stranger danger, Combuster.

But seriously, there is very little incentive for anyone to even entertain an interview with you. I wouldn't sign an NDA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:45 pm 

Brynet-Inc wrote:
But seriously, there is very little incentive for anyone to even entertain an interview with you. I wouldn't sign an NDA.

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:11 pm 

SonyQrio wrote:
I'm looking for some free labourers, it's to work on "something", the only incentive is an ambiguous "greater cause". Money isn't important to me, but, I still can't pay you. I'm sure you don't mind. I know my dreams are as important to you as they are to me!
Why?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:15 pm 

I find that to be particularly rude.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:37 pm 

SonyQrio wrote:
I find that to be particularly rude.

This is a particularly common beginner mistake on this forum. Someone will join and quickly become frustrated when they learn just how much work is involved, they then attempt to recruit others into a "community project".

It sounds like you're doing the same under the guise of a "startup company". Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:51 pm 

The hardware is complete. The IDE is complete. The software backend is near completion. The operating system is well on its way.

I've been working on this project for three years. I have employees, and I'm well aware of how much work is involved.

I'm not asking for free labor, nor am I making this a community project. I'm more than willing to compensate anyone for their efforts once and if the company is successful. The only reason that I came to this forum is because I know that anyone who would even consider joining would most likely have the experience necessary to be a successful contributor.

I don't mean to be defensive, but it's not fair for you to make such a sarcastic judgement about my motives when you really don't know much about what I'm doing.

And I get it, that's just it - you don't know much. I've chosen not to disclose much for a reason. If anyone is interested, they're more than welcome to drop me a line, sign an NDA, and I'll tell them everything there is to know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:06 pm 

SonyQrio wrote:
I don't mean to be defensive, but it's not fair for you to make such a sarcastic judgement about my motives when you really don't know much about what I'm doing.

I think it's fair. You're a stranger on the Internet. You only have a handful of posts on this forum, and your first topic is a shady looking attempt at enticing people with promises of "NDAs" and unicorn turds.

Still, you're right. This may be the dream non-job someone was looking for. I suspect not, but, good luck!