OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ghost - Latest i686-elf-tools, buildscript, ramdisk compiler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 am 

Hey guys! :)

My kernel finally got a name: Ghost.
It is a 32bit kernel for the x86 architecture that is supposed to host a Java virtual machine. The JVM for it is currently under development by my buddy sknine, and in the near future we will merge the two projects. That's gonna be exciting :shock: We are planning to release the entire project as GPLv3 once it reaches a practical state.

Long story short, this thread is actually not about the kernel itself, but about a few tools I created when restoring my build process lately. I'll provide these tools here, as I hope that they might be useful for some of you. Suggestions to make it better are always welcome. I'm developing on Windows, but porting should be easy as the sources only depend on the C/C++ standard library.

Latest i686-elf cross compiler and binutils
I compiled the latest binutils 2.24 and GCC 4.8.2 with MinGW on Windows, the target platform is i686-elf.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85K_c7mx3QjUnZuaFRPWlBIcXM/edit?usp=sharing

Buildscript in C++
There are some things to do when building my kernel, and I don't really know how to write such a complex makefile...^^ so I decided to write my buildscript in C++. The builder provides a few basic functions like recursive directory search, and you should be able to easily adapt it to build your own projects.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85K_c7mx3QjV3RQbUZYMWp4N3c/edit?usp=sharing

Ramdisk compiler
This is a compiler for a relatively simple ramdisk format. It's kept as plain as possible, this makes writing a ramdisk reader for it really easy. A specification of the format can be found in the README file.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85K_c7mx3QjclVLSmlVNGJMNXM/edit?usp=sharing

Happy coding! :)
-maxdev

EDIT: I also added the cross compiler to the GCC Cross-Compiler wiki page. ;)
http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler#Using_the_new_Compiler

Post subject: Re: Ghost - Latest i686-elf-tools, buildscript, ramdisk comp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 am 

Hi,
First off Welcome back 8) (Since your last post was somewhere in July 2013), and have a nice stay
here.
Congrats, This is possible the first ( :?: ) pre-compiled cross compiler that has
been public for Windows. Seeing the GCC-Cross-Compiler page, I could see only 1 Windows hosts.
(which points to this one)
-Bender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:23 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
And you'll see that in a few months time it stops working - if it even works now on a random installation :wink:

Since I don't run windows any more, I'll just have to wait until the first complaint comes in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 am 

Thanks! :) Yes, I did not post here for a while, yet I've been quite active with developing my kernel.

Looking at my revisions, starting at Octobre 2011, i had exactly 200 commits until Octobre 2012... then I did nothing until May'13, where I started again, and lately I had my 1000th commit (okay you can't count many revisions, because I check in some binaries always^^), but yeah I'm back 8) I think it's always quite hard in the beginning, as you tend to get stuck at some point, and just run out of steam.. but then theres are little success that brings the fever back :D

About the cross compiler, I just thought it could be a little help. I had a working i586-elf-gcc with version 4.4.0 from somewhere, but as this is a little outdated, I decided to make a new one.

@Combuster why should it stop working? I tried it on a few installations, did not cause any problems...