OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New 64bit OS Soon.... :)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 am 

Hey Guys,
I got pissed off from making my 32-bit OS, buggy, slow as MUD, useless and and......
Just wanted to show a preview of what I am working on.....
It's a 64-bit Long Mode OS,
It can now print some fancy strings:
Once I port my 32 bit OS keyboard driver, I'll post it on github.
Till then wait!
Sorry :(

Post subject: Re: New 64bit OS Soon.... :)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:01 am 

nerdguy wrote:
Hey Guys,
I got pissed off from making my 32-bit OS, buggy, slow as MUD, useless and and......

If I've understood you correctly, you've stopped the development of one OS to start another?

If so, I can understand how frustration can lead to your desire to drop your 32-bit OS and start anew, but if you can see frustration as sign of there being a unwanted difference between expectation and reality, it is something very useful and something to be recognised and welcomed. If you can see frustration as feedback then it becomes a natural part of the system development process. In fact, I would start getting worried if I didn't experience frustration in all but the most trivial projects. In other words, I think you were on the road to success but you cut the journey short.

On the other hand, this has nothing to do with me, you're free to start making a 64-bit OS if you want to. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 am 

Yes you're correct simply halting the development of one OS and moving to another is not what a good programmer does. But I have my reasons.
The 32 bit OS was written in assembly as it progressed the code became more and more complex, infact there were times where I couldn't understand my own code. Translating everything to C wasn't a good idea, cause I couldn't even understand the assembly code I wrote some Weeks ago, I feel assembly is never good outside bootloaders, anyways that's my own opinion, so I thought to start everything back from scratch, but this time I decided to make a 64 bit version, so to make it more suitable for newer machines, Its written in C, I plan using C++ after I get some vital things working.
Well I'll keep you guys posted, after I get some keyboard drivers and basic FAT16 Reading support.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 am 

Wanting to do an entire OS in assembly seems a bit of an overkill indeed. 64-bit OSes seem interesting to me too (but I'm working on a 32-bit for now). Is 64-bit development harder (are the resources more scarce, is coding more time-consuming)?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 am 

Hmmmm....,
Right now I am browsing through the Intel Manuals,
Even I am a beginner in x86-64 Development, This is my first OS in 64-bit so I can't really tell if it's hard or tough,
x86-64 is well documented : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... nuals.html
But when you are in long mode you get access to some new registers like R8,R9...,XMM8 etc. and the other ones are extended to their 64-bit counterparts, like ESI becomes RSI, EDX turns to RDX, and so on......
Also paging is a need in long mode
How about reading the giant intel manuals.....?
How about going to the wiki page about long mode? http://wiki.osdev.org/Long_Mode

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 am 

Quote:
Is 64-bit development harder (are the resources more scarce, is coding more time-consuming)?

If you write your OS in a high-level language then there is very little of it that depends upon whether the processor is 32- or 64-bit. On the other hand, if you found that you couldn't understand the assembly that you wrote a few months back then starting over is a very good idea; and whilst you are at it you might as well switch to 64-bit. But it's no more difficult than 32-bit.

In some ways it's easier to write 64-bit code as there are less decisions to make.