OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: とあるOS [ToAruOS] ~ A Learning Project
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 pm 

shashwatsh wrote:
i tried. when i run ./install.sh
it show an error.

1. This is a thread for ToaruOS, and your log clearly indicates you are trying to build PonyOS.
2. The fact that you are posting here tells me you didn't read the instructions, which tell you correct places to request support for build issues, such as our IRC channel.
3. Saying you ran "./install.sh" confirms that you did not read the instructions, as nothing in the instructions ever says to run that.
4. The error you have posted indicates that you tried to configure binutils earlier and in so doing created a config cache that is incompatible with your current environment, possibly because you tried to run it before you had bison installed and then tried to run it again without clearing the config cache. None of this has anything to do with ToaruOS or PonyOS, and the correct course of action to resolve the problem is listed right there in the output from the binutils configure script.

Additionally, this thread is over two years old, and I no longer maintain either project as I have moved on to other things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 am 

***************** just this question i won't bother you again*****************************

i get the same error compiling toAruOS
this is the instructions that you gave

so
when i ran ./install.sh or simply use the make command to build it through makefile.
it gives an error i'm using an ubuntu and i have all the things installed to build it
so, is there any way to compile the OS without making the toolchain

P.S just this question i won't bother you again

sudo apt-get install clang yasm genext2fs build-essential wget libmpfr-dev libmpc-dev libgmp-dev qemu
pushd toolchain
./prepare.sh # Grabs specific versions of GCC (and the libraries it depends on, though those don't get built yet), newlib and freetype, and applies patches
./install.sh # Configures and builds GCC, Newlib, and Freetype
. activate.sh # Adds the toolchain binaries to your $PATH
popd
pushd userspace
make # Builds the userspace applications
popd
make system # Builds the kernel.
make run # And runs it with qemu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:18 pm 

shashwatsh wrote:
***************** just this question i won't bother you again*****************************

i get the same error compiling toAruOS
this is the instructions that you gave

so
when i ran ./install.sh or simply use the make command to build it through makefile.
it gives an error i'm using an ubuntu and i have all the things installed to build it
so, is there any way to compile the OS without making the toolchain

P.S just this question i won't bother you again

sudo apt-get install clang yasm genext2fs build-essential wget libmpfr-dev libmpc-dev libgmp-dev qemu
pushd toolchain
./prepare.sh # Grabs specific versions of GCC (and the libraries it depends on, though those don't get built yet), newlib and freetype, and applies patches
./install.sh # Configures and builds GCC, Newlib, and Freetype
. activate.sh # Adds the toolchain binaries to your $PATH
popd
pushd userspace
make # Builds the userspace applications
popd
make system # Builds the kernel.
make run # And runs it with qemu

I don't know where you got these instructions from, because they are not on my wiki nor are they anywhere in the codebase, and are incredibly outdated. The correct way to build ToaruOS is to run `make toolchain` from the root directory to allow the toolchain to build, and then `make`. And either way, you haven't even posted the relevant error message.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 am 

He's probably just kidding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:09 am 

first of all i'm not kidding when i make the toolchain. i get an error while compiling bitunsils

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:40 pm 

shashwatsh wrote:
first of all i'm not kidding when i make the toolchain. i get an error while compiling bitunsils

And yet, you continue to not post the error, and posting in this thread which is not a support thread. I can't help you if you don't say what is wrong, and don't use the proper channels.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:07 pm 

Configuring in ./binutils
configure: loading cache ./config.cache
configure: error: `YACC' has changed since the previous run:
configure: former value: `/home/shashwat/Downloads/toaruos-master/toolchain/tarballs/binutils-2.22/missing bison -y'
configure: current value: `bison -y'
configure: error: in `/home/shashwat/Downloads/toaruos-master/toolchain/build/binutils/binutils':
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over
Makefile:3340: recipe for target 'configure-binutils' failed
make[2]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/shashwat/Downloads/toaruos-master/toolchain/build/binutils'
Makefile:838: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/shashwat/Downloads/toaruos-master/toolchain/build/binutils'
Build failed. Please check the logs above to see what went wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 pm 

Once again, this is not the appropriate forum for this discussion, and, once again, the fix for your problem is clearly given to you right there in the text you pasted:

Code:
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over

You have bad config caches in the relevant directories. You need to remove them, which can be done with `make distclean`.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:35 am 

@shashwatsh If you can't read an error from bit utensils telling you exactly what to do then you probably shouldn't be trying to compile ToAruOS.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:46 am 

It has been a while since I posted an actual update to this thread. I wanted to talk briefly about the new support for VirtualBox Guest Additions I just finished up. I added support for "Auto-resize Guest Display" and "Mouse Integration", and while working on that added support to Yutani for general display resizing.

I also wrote a wiki article if you want to try to implement these features in your own OS.

Essentially, VirtualBox provides a device that takes commands over a memory/io port device and can tell you when the host window has resized / what the optimal resolution is with interrupts. The display device in VirtualBox is an implementation of the Bochs graphics adapter (which QEMU also uses), but it has a different PCI device ID, and it supports arbitrary resolutions through a very simple interface. If you haven't written drivers for this "device", you should - it's very easy, and gets you arbitrary resolutions in multiple emulators. Auto-resize in VirtualBox uses an interrupt to tell you when the optimal display size has changed, to which you respond by requesting the display adapter switch to that resolution. Mouse Integration is similar - an interrupt fires every time the mouse moves and you can read the absolute position of the mouse from the guest device. It doesn't include button information, so you still need to read your relative mouse (whether that's PS/2 or USB), which won't include movement information (unless you miss one of the bits in the mouse configuration, in which case VirtualBox injects some "jiggle" into the X coordinates of your relative mouse...).

Most of the work here was in my userspace, as Yutani (my compositor) had not been designed to support the display resolution changing while it was running. I had to also update some of my applications (wallpaper, panel) as they didn't expect to be resizing after startup either. Mouse Integration was a bit simpler, but still required some additional code in Yutani to read the new absolute mouse device file.

I'm interested in looking into VirtualBox's seamless mode, but it will require a lot more work in the compositor. Clipboard and drag+drop might be easier to look at. I'm also going to look at the shared folders later on.

You can try out the VirtualBox integration with this ISO.

I also have largest screenshots of Linux, OS X, and Windows versions of VirtualBox running ToaruOS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 pm 

@klange you could actually request them to add ToaruOS to their OS list, althrough.

Last edited by Ycep on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:44 am 

I could not get it to boot. What is wrong with those lists?
I have to admit that you have one awesome handy debugger, it even tells you the line. :o :o
Attachment:
toaruOSfatal.png
toaruOSfatal.png [ 12.52 KiB | Viewed 7137 times ]

Also: mouse integration works flawlessly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:26 am 

I think there's a lingering race when the vboxguest driver receives the initial display information interrupt while still initializing the display driver. Very rare, thought I'd squashed it already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:40 am 

Klange, as always you are the master and I love seeing your work. That wiki article is bitchin', thanks for sharing that kind of info with us plebs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm 

I've cut a new official release here. No real reason to download this if you pulled the live ISO from my other post, unless you want a new version number.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next