OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: UGOS
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:00 pm 

UGOS (Unique Graphical Operating System) is going to be an os that will support Windows programs and drivers. In the future I hope to support Linux applications and drivers as well. The GUI will be mostly 3D with hardware acceleration available. In the future, you could write an addon for UGOS that would put functionality for supporting a different OS, or filesystem.

Check out my site at http://www.geocities.com/lsuggs29

Post subject: Re: UGOS
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:00 pm 

deathangel wrote:
UGOS (Unique Graphical Operating System) is going to be an os that will support Windows programs and drivers. In the future I hope to support Linux applications and drivers as well. The GUI will be mostly 3D with hardware acceleration available. In the future, you could write an addon for UGOS that would put functionality for supporting a different OS, or filesystem.

Check out my site at http://www.geocities.com/lsuggs29

hmmm...
A unique os... that runs Windows programs... and uses Windows drivers. Forgive me for saying I don't think it sounds very...unique.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:00 pm 

Well, if you'll excuse me, I also forgot to mention that in the future I plan to add support for writing add-on (subsystem) modules for the operating system that would add support for other OS, such as linux, or and HTML based program that would run outside a web browser. You could even create your own totally new subsystem and add support for it. But this is in the future of course ;-).

btw, I don't currently know of any other OS that would do this.

deathangel

deathangel wrote:
Well, if you'll excuse me, I also forgot to mention that in the future I plan to add support for writing add-on (subsystem) modules for the operating system that would add support for other OS, such as linux,

Sorta like NT's subsystems. They have a Native NT subsystem, a Posix subsystem, a Win32 subsystem, a DOS subsystem, and I there may be more. ReactOS, being an NT clone, is implementing the same functionality, but are including things MS would never include, such as Java and OS/2. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't really make an OS unique.

deathangel wrote:
or and HTML based program that would run outside a web browser. You could even create your own totally new subsystem and add support for it. But this is in the future of course ;-).

This doesn't even really make sense. HTML is pretty specific for web developement. It wouldn't work all that well for a lot of applications. However, you could use something like Mozilla's XUL and XPCOM, and you could have XML-based applications. In fact, Mozilla uses these tools.

deathangel wrote:
btw, I don't currently know of any other OS that would do this.

Well, now you do. I don't mean to discourage you, but I am attempting to find out what is unique about your OS, and why you want to create it.

Regardless of what I decide to call my OS, I need serious help with a floppy driver. If somebody could point me to an excellent tutorial with fairly good quality C++ source. If you know one that is non-DMA that would be great, but I will welcome DMA ones too.

deathangel

Have you heard of Microsoft Longhorn and it's new language XAML? This is what I'm talking about. The OS would run HTML code directly without using a web browser, just that it's not XAML, it's HTML/XHTML.

deathangel wrote:
Have you heard of Microsoft Longhorn and it's new language XAML? This is what I'm talking about. The OS would run HTML code directly without using a web browser, just that it's not XAML, it's HTML/XHTML.

Well, as I said, I don't think HTML or even XHTML are good languages for applications, however it is not a new idea to use XML for the layout of an app. But, of course, I encourage you to try with HTML, and maybe you will come up with something really cool. I suspect, however, that you will have to work around a lot of limitations of HTML, and in the end, what you create will have little resemblence to HTML anyway.

Last edited by rexlunae on Tue May 17, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:00 pm 

Okay, name's been changed to SGOS (Small Graphical Operating System).

deathangel

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:00 pm 

I need serious help with my floppy driver, can anyone help?

I built a special version for those that can help which can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/lsuggs29/SGOS-0.0.0003.src.zip

Thanks