OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: it.osdev opened
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 am 

Hi, I'm italian and I've opened the new it.osdev wiki and forum. You can find them at http://osdevelop.altervista.org/phpBB2 and http://osdevelop.altervista.org/php5
There isn't already an home page, but i'm working.

Bye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I only need two words:

RIP-OFF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm 

Why do you play god and do you destruct the tower of babel, the unison of languages and cultures we have here, in order to get subgroups of people with the same interest who don't confer?

Please stop your website, not so much for any reason but to keep the OS devers together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:56 pm 

Three words... Cease and desist ! :roll: I've already created a topic "Non English Languages here" for Czechs, Slovaks or Poles, so if any italian would visit this forum he can reply to your "non english languages" topic (If mods would agree on that).

Regards
inflater

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:45 pm 

inflater wrote:
Three words... Cease and desist ! :roll: I've already created a topic "Non English Languages here" for Czechs, Slovaks or Poles, so if any italian would visit this forum he can reply to your "non english languages" topic (If mods would agree on that).

Regards
inflater

Why are some non-english people so set on speaking their own language when there are only a few thousand people in the world that know of the subject, where the most commonly spoken language is english?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 pm 

I'm just saying my opinions Candy... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm 

Candy wrote:
Why are some non-english people so set on speaking their own language when there are only a few thousand people in the world that know of the subject, where the most commonly spoken language is english?

Wow... I would have never expected so much ignorance from you, Candy. :roll: It might be for those people who did not enjoy the same education as you did. Or for those who are just young and not as advanced in english as you are. Or perhaps for those that live in a country where it is not encouraged to speak/listen to english outside school, because movies are translated, etc... But perhaps they don't deserve a smooth start in their native language?
Sorry if that comment was a little bit harsh or to personal, but your post felt somewhat like a slap in the face. It just reminded me of how frustrating my osdev start was (many years ago) and how much time I could have saved.
Might be the best time to point out that there is also a german wiki and forum. :wink: Didn't hurt this community, did it?

That being said, I agree that the site is a rip-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:19 pm 

Code:
#define RIPOFF     A pointless copy of something already done
#define THATSITE     RIPOFF

^ Has no real point, just that your new site is pointless............We need to kepp OSdevers together!

-JL :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:04 am 

@bluecode
and if you would have been helped a lot in your native language would you be a fluent in your English as you are now or would you still speak only German.

And indeed the translation of the movies in Germany is really awful. Terminator 'Ich komme wieder' does not have the same impact as 'I'll be back'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:38 am 

I must say that in some ways I wish the operational language of OSDev or programming in general was something other than English, because then I would have a reason (and help, and a need) to become fluent in a foreign language. As it is most native English speakers become lazy and just expect everyone they meet to speak it. I would like to have a reason to learn a new language (and be able to use it in everyday life so I get better at it).

I learned French at school, but I've forgotten most of it. I would really like to pick it up again :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:54 am 

@ bluecode:

If we were talking about programming in general, I might have reluctantly agreed, but this is about OS development. If you can't read and write English in this field, you're busted right from the start, period.

There is no "smooth start" to OS development. An unfortunately large number of newcomers ignore this, but it's a fact. Either you're up to it, or you are simply wasting everybody's time. If you want a cozy native-language environment, stick to user-space applications, they can be difficult enough.

As for the other stuff, I have stopped reading books or watching movies that have been translated from English a couple of years ago. Not only is it good for your language skills, many things are actually much better in the original. Movies like "Major League" or "Starship Troopers" have been outright mutilated, and stuff like Tolkien, Shakespeare or Pratchet simply has to be read in original.

os64dev wrote:
@bluecode

And indeed the translation of the movies in Germany is really awful. Terminator 'Ich komme wieder' does not have the same impact as 'I'll be back'.

Generally speaking, I agree. But I beg to make two exceptions: The German voice of Bruce Willis is actually better than the original, and Darth Vader in German is awesome. (I know two Swedes who'll kill me for this, but I really think so.)

Last edited by Solar on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:54 am 

Voyons ce convertir en un forum en seul français.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am 

Čo to preboha vravíš? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 pm 

Craze Frog wrote:
Voyons ce convertir en un forum en seul français.

I actually wouldn't mind that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:49 pm 

I understand english is the must for each OS Developer, but if there is someone that can't write (like me) or read good english, he would have a source that can be useful to him.

Now I'm 15 (I'm so young for os development :). When I started os developing, I was only 13. When I started, I have looked for some italian text, like some Assembly Language Tutorial, or Protected Mode Tutorial, or "What is the GDT?". I've found only english text. I've been studing english for 7 years, so I've read that tutorials quite easily, but lot of youngs in Italy (Italy is an ignorant contry, it's humiliating for me to be Italian), cannot read english. So a web-site with lots of contents and all the necessary things for OS Development will be a great thing. Of course, it will never be like OSDev.org, with thousands of developers, but is a start.