OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:18 pm 

Could I please get me the datasheets for 8139 in Finnish? I'd really need to write a driver, but I can't understand technical English. Also, if somebody could point me to some example sources (written in Finnish) that would be helpful.

I'd also need half a dozen RFCs, so if anyone is willing to translate them (unfortunately I can't offer to pay for that) please send them to me. I need them by friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:07 pm 

You think you're having a tough time? Try finding those documents in Klingon.. It's a nightmare! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:47 am 

AlfaOmega08 wrote:
I understand english is the must for each OS Developer, but if there is someone that can't write (like me) or read good english, he would have a source that can be useful to him.

Useful for what, for crying out loud? That's like providing a driver's license application form in braille so that a blind person can fill it in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm 

mystran wrote:
Could I please get me the datasheets for 8139 in Finnish? I'd really need to write a driver, but I can't understand technical English. Also, if somebody could point me to some example sources (written in Finnish) that would be helpful.

Can't you see, Solar? Not everybody understand technical English. There are about 6 billion people in the world. It would be too much easy if everybody speaks english. For who can't there are forums and wikis in their own languages. In Italy, only the 30% of people can have a conversation in English. How many, do you believe, understands this technical english.

The only thing I can do is to put after each technical word, its english translation, so that in a very distant future, who read will be able to read this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:31 pm 

mystran was trying to be sarcastic AlfaOmega08... encase you didn't notice. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:36 pm 

AlfaOmega08 wrote:
mystran wrote:

Can't you see, Solar? Not everybody understand technical English. There are about 6 billion people in the world. It would be too much easy if everybody speaks english. For who can't there are forums and wikis in their own languages. In Italy, only the 30% of people can have a conversation in English. How many, do you believe, understands this technical english.

The only thing I can do is to put after each technical word, its english translation, so that in a very distant future, who read will be able to read this forum.

But can't you see that all technical documentation is in English and after that your best shot would be Spanish. It is not the case that documentation should be available in other languages, it is the fact that they are NOT. OS development is one of those areas in development, that if you do not speak/read English you probably should not start. unless you start learning English first.

This is the point Solar is trying to make and i am backing him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:43 pm 

Brynet-Inc wrote:
mystran was trying to be sarcastic AlfaOmega08... encase you didn't notice. :wink:

Ooooooops :oops:

Ok, but this could happen to everyone who is just starting OSDevelopment :D

I believe you will not see me for a long time. I will hide my-self in the night for the humiliation :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Besides being posted in the forum dedicated to THIS site and the use of the OSDev.org logo the site doesn't really bother me at all. I get contacted on a pretty regular basis by people that want to convert the wiki to another language. I tell them to go right ahead but they'll have to host it themselves.

I think it benefits the greatest number of people by having a central english repository of OSDev knowledge so I'm of the opinion that it'd be best if people contributed to the OSDev.org wiki and then translated to non-english languages as desired. But if someone wants to fork the wiki then oh well, maybe if the non-english content is large enough people would start to translate in both directions.

Last edited by chase on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:19 am 

Just clone the pages onto en.wikipedia.org as stubs of OsDev. Within a month you'll have them in a dozen languages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:04 am 

os64dev wrote:
@bluecode
and if you would have been helped a lot in your native language would you be a fluent in your English as you are now or would you still speak only German.

To be honest, I don't know. I was lacking some other skills back then too. Like googling, interpreting some of the figures correctly, etc...

Solar wrote:
As for the other stuff, I have stopped reading books or watching movies that have been translated from English a couple of years ago.

I'm also going into this direction currectly: Three english books about C++ (The C++ Standard, C++ Templates - The complete guide, Modern C++ design) and one about Haskell (for university) are next to my bed currently. But how do you do that with movies (without pirating the movies)? I mean, I also don't want to wait like 1-1.5 years for the DVD to come out in germany.

OrOS wrote:
Just clone the pages onto en.wikipedia.org as stubs of OsDev. Within a month you'll have them in a dozen languages.

They will most likely delete these pages, because they are an encyclopedia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:39 am 

AlfaOmega08 wrote:
Can't you see, Solar? Not everybody understand technical English.

So he should learn technical English before getting into OS development.

Besides, before you translate the OS Wiki into Italian, you'd have to make sure you have Italian manuals on gcc, binutils, NASM, make, GRUB, etc. etc. pp. - in short, the whole toolchain.

bluecode wrote:
But how do you do that with movies (without pirating the movies)? I mean, I also don't want to wait like 1-1.5 years for the DVD to come out in germany.

Not at all. In the last four years or so, I have been to the cinema one, perhaps two times. My daughter is 3, my son half a year old. Go figure. ;)

Edit: I just realized that the above could be read as "I pirate all my movies". That's not the case; as with computer games, I am quite satisfied with two-year-old titles. ;)

Last edited by Solar on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:15 am 

I really want to see programming languages in other language, but there isn't such thing.
Win32API C++:
CreateWindow(Ex)
Assember:
MOV (Move)
INT (Interrupt)

Yes, it is true that if the documentation in your native language will be easier to understand, BUT it will be full of English terminology, so you MUST know english before you start writing OS... or you could try to write NASM copy for your native language :D

P.S. Хора, учете английÑ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 am 

Masterkiller wrote:
I really want to see programming languages in other language, but there isn't such thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagol_(pr ... g_language)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:37 pm 

Babelfish, anyone?? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 pm 

stevenup7002 wrote:
Babelfish, anyone?? :cry:

So you would favor multiple broken languages as opposed to just dealing with broken English? Even with broken English most of the meaning is still conveyable.

For those who natively speak gender-strong languages (e.g. German, Spanish) I would like to know what they thought of in learning general English.