OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Open Source (Merger of Talent)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:00 am 

Hey,

I'm just trying to get a feel from you fellow OS developers on this.

Well since hobby OS development doesn't put food on the table I'm sure you are as well as I am very busy with work or school or something similar to ensure your survival.

So I am reaching out to see who might be looking to permanently/temporarily merge up to get an OS code base to a state of self hosted. At the end we can stay together or all part ways as friends and fork off into our own more specific direction.

Since at the core anyone looking to have a similar kernel structure it would be almost the same anyway. It is down the road changes to the API and the user land, etc. that really make the OS what it is... at least from the end users point of view...

I'm looking to collaborate on a micro kernel for the ia32/aa64 architecture any potential takers?

Post subject: Re: Open Source (Merger of Talent)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:00 am 

I'm more of a user-space library / application person here, but I'm working on an operating system project which may benefit from a microkernel targeting ia32, so if there's anything apart from kernel development I could help with, my email is xfurious at gmail dot com. I'd be glad to help out if I can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:00 am 

xfurious,

Sure thing I'll be contacting you via email over the next day or so.

User-space is just as import as kernel space especially in a micro kernel envrionment. So hopefully we can go over some API specs see how we want to keep both areas interfacing with eachother

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:00 am 

theubu wrote:
So I am reaching out to see who might be looking to permanently/temporarily merge up to get an OS code base to a state of self hosted. At the end we can stay together or all part ways as friends and fork off into our own more specific direction.

Since at the core anyone looking to have a similar kernel structure it would be almost the same anyway. It is down the road changes to the API and the user land, etc. that really make the OS what it is... at least from the end users point of view...

I'm looking to collaborate on a micro kernel for the ia32/aa64 architecture any potential takers?

You might want to examine trion, a collaborative effort hosted at SourceForge already trying to do pretty much what you're proposing -- it was founded by several of the folk here at osdev after a similar discussion. It's back in the redesign phase right now, and could use a reinfusion of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:00 am 

bregma,

Trion looks good but it seems to be lacking momentum... If it could be sparked it may peak my interests other wise I may start to move forward creating some waves to hopefully bring on a few surfers if you know what I mean. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:00 am 

i am working on Microkernel ia32 from last two years.
I was very much impressed by design of QNX as Embeddedable Posix.

I have not started for Realtime/embedded yet. For now it is i386 based microkernel os with POSIX interface and distributed with GPL.
It is in the early stage of Development.
manrix.sf.net

regards
manrix