OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Problems With UNIX Standards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 am 

iansjack wrote:
I only moved and renamed the original compiler files to be absolutely sure that they weren't somehow being used. This was just to make the test valid.

No, it invalidates the test entirely. You manually changed where the original gcc was. I know for a fact that MonoDevelop checks /usr/bin first regardless of the path. That's why I told you specifically to add '-dumpmachine' to your project and check the console.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:26 am 

SoulofDeity wrote:
iansjack wrote:
I only moved and renamed the original compiler files to be absolutely sure that they weren't somehow being used. This was just to make the test valid.

No, it invalidates the test entirely. You manually changed where the original gcc was. I know for a fact that MonoDevelop checks /usr/bin first regardless of the path. That's why I told you specifically to add '-dumpmachine' to your project and check the console.

If you say so. "Known" facts are often deceptive - experiment is the best test of facts.

I've tried it again, without touching the compiler files in /usr/bin - same result. My system compiler is 64-bit; the cross-compiler is 32-bit. The resulting object files were 32-bit; I have difficulty explaining that if the cross-compiler wan't used.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. You could always just define a custom compile command in the project options, using the cross-compiler. It comes to the same thing, but you are making it rather more explicit - no need to mess with your "/usr/bin" files.

Of course, you are going to have problems if you haven't built all the appropriate C or C++ libraries for your cross-compiler, but this would cause you problems however you used it.

I'm sorry you can't get this to work, but I'm really not going to waste more time on it. It works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:31 am 

Ok, now I know you're full of ****. Do you kow why I'm telling you it's not possible? Because what you're saying you did was the first thing I tried. It doesn't work. It's the first approach I took because it's the common sense one. When common sense doesn't work, you fall back on hacks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:37 am 

Just shut up already. Your opinions seem naive, inexperienced and ill-advised. I would respond to your misunderstandings, but I have better ways to spend my time.

Locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7