OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: 32-bit kernel that runs 64-bit apps
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:52 am 

linguofreak wrote:
I'd define bitness by the bitness of the ABI provided to kernel modules (which will likely be the bitness of most of the code in the kernel): If kernel modules have to be 32-bit, it's a 32 bit kernel, even if there's a bit of 64-bit code to thunk to a 64-bit userland. The only exception I'd make to this is if the kernel requires a 64-bit CPU (rather than just being able to make use of one if present).

RDOS ABI supports 16, 32 and 64 bits. It's register based, and 16-bit code will typically extended pointers to 32-bit while the 64-bit module will allocate a 32-bit copy of pointers and copy page table entries,

The C/C++ API is constructed with inline assembly, and will vary depending on compiler,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:55 am 

Candy wrote:
rdos wrote:
Of course a functional 32-bit kernel can be made to run 64-bit applications. ... The process is quite simple:

In short, to make a 32-bit kernel run 64-bit processes, just add 64-bit process support.

Still confused about what the discussion is actually about. You need to add 64-bit process support to be able to run 64-bit processes; AMD didn't design it backwards-compatible enough to run 64-bit software under 32-bit OSes without modification.

It goes both ways. In order for a long mode OS to run 32-bit processes you need to add support for 32-bit processes. Every executable format needs support in the kernel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:05 am 

thepowersgang wrote:
On a side note - Would your ideas be switching between protected and long mode? Or running 32-bit kernel code in compatibility mode?

It could be done both ways. I switch between modes primarily because this allows the kernel to use call gates for 32-bit application kernel entry points. If I used compability mode instead, I'd need a common entry point, and a far call to 32-bit code from long mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:41 am 

This discussion has reached a conclusion, and is now heading nowhere fast. Locking

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4