OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Object Oriented OS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:10 am 
SpyderTL wrote:
Old guys can keep using ASM. It's not like I'm taking it away.

You have proposed a language, I have suggested that it can be better. Why we should talk about guys using assembler?
SpyderTL wrote:
But the XSLT files can't run themselves, just like .s files can't run themselves, or .java files can't run themselves.

Java files can run themselves. My system (written in Java) writes OS image and the image runs Java classes. No help from anything else except file manager to copy image on a flash. But copying is still possible to implement in Java. That's why I repeat my thoughts about "pure" XML system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:52 am 

embryo wrote:
SpyderTL wrote:
Old guys can keep using ASM. It's not like I'm taking it away.

You have proposed a language, I have suggested that it can be better. Why we should talk about guys using assembler?
SpyderTL wrote:
But the XSLT files can't run themselves, just like .s files can't run themselves, or .java files can't run themselves.

Java files can run themselves. My system (written in Java) writes OS image and the image runs Java classes. No help from anything else except file manager to copy image on a flash. But copying is still possible to implement in Java. That's why I repeat my thoughts about "pure" XML system.

I definately like your approach better than mine, but your java files still need a "compiler". In your case, your compiler is written in Java. Mine is written in C#.

What you are saying is that I should write an XML compiler in XML. That's kind of like saying that I should write a web browser in HTML. XSLT is great for transforming XML files from one schema to another, but it's terrible as a programming language.

Java definately would have been a better choice. :)

Actually, to be honest, my first attempt was using C# instead of XML. I just didn't think of writing a C# compiler in C#. That would have been brillient! 8)

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 am 
SpyderTL wrote:
What you are saying is that I should write an XML compiler in XML. That's kind of like saying that I should write a web browser in HTML. XSLT is great for transforming XML files from one schema to another, but it's terrible as a programming language.

But wait, aren't you going to write OS in XML? OS has a lot of complex algorithms and if it is written in XML, then you just must to have a great experience of writing complex algorithms in XSLT. Then what is the problem with a compiler? And one more point - if you was talking about XML as internal data format of your OS, then there should be some parser and some internal structured representation, but what prevents you from using all of that and to write a transformation from internal representation to hex stream?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10