OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Distributed Computing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:55 am 
Hi,

what kind of distributed applications i can design i want some new ideas that r powerfull and interesting. I think u guys got my point what kind of project i want to do

Post subject: Re:Distributed Computing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:02 pm 
heres one if your up to the challenge, constant failure, and tons of reading and coding. write an OS. other than that, you coudl always create some web server, or caht server.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:32 am 
I an tto make some networking product it can involve Grid computing i don't mind but it must be innovative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:12 am 
Innovation doesn't come from the need for a 'product', but from having an insight into how something can be done in a new way. Trying to 'innovate' (as opposed to working on how to solve a particular problem or improve on the existing solutions) is a futile exercise; asking someone else to innovate for you is positively counterproductive.

And only a fool (or a marketing executive) does something just for the sake of being buzzword compliant. Unless you're trying to sell something, leave the phrases like 'Grid Computing' out unless it truly describes what you are doing; and if the phrase is meaningless, then so is the 'product' built around it.

If you are trying to sell a product - even one that doesn't exist - then why are you here on a programmer's forum? If the experience of the past five years (or the past five thousand, for that matter) has shown us anything, it is that you don't actually have to have a product in order to sell one. As long as you have the marks convinced that they got a good deal, you can sell nothing for something to them over and over again. Just be ready to cut and run when the hammer finally falls...

But that's not what we're here for on this forum. We're here to find solutions to problems, not create new ones (the fact that our solutions tend to do just that is due to unforeseeable side effects :) ). If you have a New Idea, we'd love to help you with it. If you have a particular problem that you need to solve, we can give you advice one it. But asking us to find a use for a particular set of meaningless marketing terms is frankly insulting.