OSDev.org
http://forum.osdev.org/

MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31536
Page 1 of 2

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:52 pm ]
Post subject:  MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

G'day mates,
Tim here,
I am currently rewriting my bootloader for Thunder (since I have fixed the bugs in the kernel) and I get this:
ERROR CODE 0x57: The parameter is incorrect. Note that my bootloader is not yet complete, but here you go, my bootloader:
Any suggestions?
Sincerely, Tim from Moscow

Attachments:
File comment: Boot loader v0.1 Alpha
boot.asm [4.67 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

Author:  Brendan [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
I am currently rewriting my bootloader for Thunder (since I have fixed the bugs in the kernel) and I get this:
ERROR CODE 0x57: The parameter is incorrect. Note that my bootloader is not yet complete, but here you go, my bootloader:


Are you sure you get "ERROR CODE 0x57: The parameter is incorrect"? The code you posted has no such error message; and (after a quick look) I think it should display "ERROR: INVALID PARTITION TABLE. SYSTEM HALTED.".


Cheers,

Brendan

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
I am currently rewriting my bootloader for Thunder (since I have fixed the bugs in the kernel) and I get this:
ERROR CODE 0x57: The parameter is incorrect. Note that my bootloader is not yet complete, but here you go, my bootloader:


Are you sure you get "ERROR CODE 0x57: The parameter is incorrect"? The code you posted has no such error message; and (after a quick look) I think it should display "ERROR: INVALID PARTITION TABLE. SYSTEM HALTED.".


Cheers,

Brendan


I had this while mkbting boot.bin.

Author:  Brendan [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
I had this while mkbting boot.bin.


Ah - I think I understand now.

I have no idea what command or parameters you used to start "mkbt", but if I did know it probably would help because I can't find the source code or the manual for the "mkbt". As far as I can tell, "mkbt" is a windows/DOS thing that only supports floppy and was abandoned by its developer in 2003.

I'd suggest just switching to a different tool, like (maybe - I don't use them) Rawwrite or WinDD.


Cheers,

Brendan

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
I had this while mkbting boot.bin.


Ah - I think I understand now.

I have no idea what command or parameters you used to start "mkbt", but if I did know it probably would help because I can't find the source code or the manual for the "mkbt". As far as I can tell, "mkbt" is a windows/DOS thing that only supports floppy and was abandoned by its developer in 2003.

I'd suggest just switching to a different tool, like (maybe - I don't use them) Rawwrite or WinDD.


Cheers,

Brendan

Rawrite is kind of strange, but WinDD is just a disc dump.

Author:  Brendan [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
Brendan wrote:
I'd suggest just switching to a different tool, like (maybe - I don't use them) Rawwrite or WinDD.

Rawrite is kind of strange, but WinDD is just a disc dump.


WinDD should be a port of the (Unix) "dd" utility, which is a very powerful/flexible tool that allows you to (e.g.) copy bytes from anywhere to anywhere (e.g. copy 446 bytes from "boot.bin" to a device).


Cheers,

Brendan

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

A-ha! Found out that I should have first coded the VBR, then the MBR.

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu May 04, 2017 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

TimothyWilliams wrote:
Brendan wrote:
I'd suggest just switching to a different tool, like (maybe - I don't use them) Rawwrite or WinDD.

Rawrite is kind of strange, but WinDD is just a disc dump.


WinDD should be a port of the (Unix) "dd" utility, which is a very powerful/flexible tool that allows you to (e.g.) copy bytes from anywhere to anywhere (e.g. copy 446 bytes from "boot.bin" to a device).


Cheers,

Brendan


What else could I use for copying the bootloader than RawWrite or WinDD?

Author:  SpyderTL [ Thu May 04, 2017 2:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

TimothyWilliams wrote:
What else could I use for copying the bootloader than RawWrite or WinDD?

I wrote my own utility as part of my build process. It's not terribly difficult. Just read from a file, and write to a "device" file.

Just be careful that you pass the correct device path, or else you'll turn your PC into a paperweight :)

Don't ask how I know that...

Author:  TimothyWilliams [ Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

SpyderTL wrote:
TimothyWilliams wrote:
What else could I use for copying the bootloader than RawWrite or WinDD?

I wrote my own utility as part of my build process. It's not terribly difficult. Just read from a file, and write to a "device" file.

Just be careful that you pass the correct device path, or else you'll turn your PC into a paperweight :)

Don't ask how I know that...


Oh mate, that's cool, but I can't get it from you due to privacy reasons.

Author:  iansjack [ Thu May 04, 2017 3:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

TimothyWilliams wrote:
What else could I use for copying the bootloader than RawWrite or WinDD?
Just use a hex editor and enter it byte by byte.

In the early days they had to enter programs by setting switches to represent each byte, entering the instructions by pressing another switch, and so on. And I'm sure many of us remember doing the equivalent on a hex keypad. Compared to that, building a disk image byte by byte with a hex editor is a doddle.

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

TimothyWilliams wrote:
SpyderTL wrote:
TimothyWilliams wrote:
What else could I use for copying the bootloader than RawWrite or WinDD?

I wrote my own utility as part of my build process. It's not terribly difficult. Just read from a file, and write to a "device" file.

Just be careful that you pass the correct device path, or else you'll turn your PC into a paperweight :)

Don't ask how I know that...


Oh mate, that's cool, but I can't get it from you due to privacy reasons.


I'm not sure what you mean by this (what privacy concerns on your end could possibly affect you copying a program's source code from his public repo?), but it really isn't relevant; what he was really saying is, "you know, you could just write it yourself in less time than it is taking you to post these messages and get a reply..."

Which is pretty much true. Try it, and if you need help doing that, then ask here again with details of what you had tried.

Author:  iansjack [ Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
what he was really saying is, "you know, you could just write it yourself in less time than it is taking you to post these messages and get a reply..."

Which is pretty much true.

I suspect that it is pretty much not true.

Author:  Schol-R-LEA [ Sat May 06, 2017 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

iansjack wrote:
Schol-R-LEA wrote:
what he was really saying is, "you know, you could just write it yourself in less time than it is taking you to post these messages and get a reply..."

Which is pretty much true.

I suspect that it is pretty much not true.


For the OP, or in general? Those would be two very different assertions, if only because, well, it involves precisely the same kind of disk operations you'd need to be able to implement for the OS eventually anyway... though you would, of course, be using the dev host OS's library rather than your own.

But if you are just talking about your own assessment of TimothyWilliams' expertise at low-level coding, then I would say, Insufficient Data. I haven't really been taking specific note of his posts up until now.

Author:  iansjack [ Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: MKBT: Error 0x57: The parameter is incorrect.

For the OP.

Just judging from posts to date.

A complete aside but don't you love the trend for people with usernames that say, in effect, "I am a clever bastard" asking really simple questions.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/