OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: creating an IDE for DJGPP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:38 pm 
I would like to create an IDE with djgpp as it's compiler.

i'm a little stuck on the sintax highlighting i looked at the code of bloodshed but i didn't find that particular part of the code is there someone who has help on that subject if so help me please.

i know someone is working on an IDE as well so if you read this let's work togetter. ;)

Post subject: Re:creating an IDE for DJGPP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:51 pm 
DGJPP already has a IDT: RHIDE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:26 pm 

Last edited by Perica on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:25 am 
that is not the answer i'm looking for i personaly think rhide is kinda old and dev c++ just doesn't does the thing. My goal is to make a C++ enviornment that can be compared to Visual studio the only thing i need is a way for the sintax highlighting.
If you can't realy help me then please don't disencourage me :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:24 pm 
Idea:

You could recored the list of keys pressed, in a linked list, and in the list a place for the word's color to be set. then parse spaces and once a user presses a space, keep moving down the list till you find another space, parse the word, see if it's a special word, like a "int" and if it is, set it's color, redraw your display.

Good?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:10 am 

Last edited by Perica on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:05 pm 
Actually, there are two: NASM-IDE, which is yet another Turbo Pascal 4.0 clone like RHIDE, and NasmEdit, which is a rather simple(-minded) but workable editor written in Java. I was using NasmEdit for a while, but lately I've mostly just using Emacs, with Notepad (under Windows) or Pico (during the few times I'm running Linux, lately) for small jobs.

However, I firmly believe that th more different approaches there are, the better everyone's choices can be. Writing a new IDE, if it is not just a clone of any existing system, would be an admirable thing.

As for the highlighting issue, can you be a bit more specific about the system you've designed? Is it text mode (as I am assuming) or graphical? What text or graphics mode(s) is it ideisgned to work in? If it is text mode, are you writing directly to the screen buffer, or using some sort of curses-esque text-manipulation library? In what manner do you wish the text to be highlighted?

On the general issue of editor design, you may wish to consult an excellent volume on the subject, The Craft of Text Editing by Craig Finseth. The original book may be found at most university libraries, and the entire text is available on the web site and may be downloaded. While he uses many examples derived from Emacs - the book is subtitled is "Emacs for the Modern World" - this is primarily because it was among the first general full-screen editors, and it's internals are widely studied and well-known. The book applies to editing in general, and is very easy to follow. It's major flaw is it's age - it concentrates a lot on efficiency issues that are less important than they were on a 68030-based workstation with 2M of free memory (don't get me wrong - efficiency is at least as important today as it was then - but the particular optimization issues are not necessarily the same). While the version on the web site is more recent, it does not appear to be seriously updated. Finseth's code is also a bit clumsy in places, but this is not a serious hinderance.

This is yet another book I would recommend to nearly any programmer, especially anyone doing OS development, as most OS writers at some stage in their work will need to write an editor of some kind, even a very simple one. The sections on buffer handling and on screen refreshing are particularly illuminating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:09 am 
i'm writing my IDE in .net studio i personaly think it's a good choice since the software should run on both Windows and linux with the monoproject.
So i don't need to change the mode to graphical mode.
and the id of logging every keystroke is good but i tryed that it's not a good idee when pasting it just don't work like that. I'm looking further thou thanks for the help and if you have more suggestions please let me know. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:18 pm 
You can use .NET stuff to make things run on Linux? :o :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:00 pm 
Not yet, really, but soon. An open source implementation of the .Net Framework, called Mono, is under development, and early versions now run under both Linux and Windows, IIUC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:02 pm 
is there no one who can help me on the syntax highlighting.
i tryed something with a richtextbox but it's realy simple
and it doesn't do the thing is there enyone who can help me?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:04 pm 
Look at the KDE 3.0 "kwrite" source code. I don't know where to find it...but it has syntax hilighting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:19 pm 
I found this on a google search:
Using the Char2Format Structure in VB .NET for Highlighting Text

I don't know if this helps, but it could be a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:45 am 
i kind off hoped that someone knew some techniques for syntax highlighting. if any of you knows some techniques please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:10 am 
How about creating a list of the keys pressed...and then parsing the list...seeing if this or that word = "your text that you want to hilight" and if it does....set it's text color....redraw the window.