OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Visual Basic 7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:09 pm 
I've heard rumors there's now a Visual Basic 7? Can anyone verify this?

Post subject: Re:Visual Basic 7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:17 pm 
VB.net is the newest Visual Studio that i know of right now...beleve me if it were out...id get it :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:59 pm 
I've searched the internet but it seems they don't have any information about VB7 yet. I've heard it from a buddy of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:31 pm 
Yeah probabally one of those urban legends thingys :D oh well...keep us informed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:18 pm 
Sure, VB.net (effectively VB 7) exists. It's part of Visual Studio.NET, which is currently undergoing beta testing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:28 pm 
Please don't buy Visual Basic. Basic is like this nasty, little troll language that sits in the dark and poops on everything. Only use Basic if you have to... like if you're developing apps for the Commodore 64 or TRS-80. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:38 pm 

vb.net is really cool. i like it a lot. they cleaned up lots of the nastiness of vb6. vb.net is like doing c++ or java or c#.. as a C programmer, the only thing I really miss in vb.net is pointers :) pointers make the world go round..

but still, vb.net is really cool.
dont underestimate vb.net, just because its part of the basic family.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:28 am 
Right, the 'VB' in VB.net is just a wrapper around the .NET stuff. VB.net is as cool as C# and Managed C++.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:24 pm 
Visual Basic is good! I don't know what your taking about!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:43 pm 
VB rocks...this guy is right...speaking of which i have VB clarse tomorrow!!! Yay..which i have a 99.8% in...i mispelled a variable once...my teacher counted a .5 point off... ::)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:03 pm 
Hey,

I believe that everybody has a right to share their opinion, so here is mine, please don't get offended by it. I Myself have Visual Studio 6 & i think it's great:

Visual Basic is a VERY bad language, and here is why: why would you use something like VB when you can use something like C/C++ that works on multiple operating systems. And VB is owned by Mircrosoft Corporation, so you couldn't just go pick up a free version of VB (maybe you can, but i don't know where.....) And it alos requires a run time library, WHAT A HASSLE to people.

Why use Visual Basic when it can be done better in C++ or C, or Pascal. As for C#, C Sharp is pthetic. Just because Microsoft got sued by Sun for making changes to their Java VM doesn't mean they have to make a brand new Language, And what kind of friggin name is C Sharp anyways??? The could've valled it 'D' since it is a decender of 'C' and 'C++', or they could've called it 'X' loL!, ok that was surposed to be funny ;D

Ciao ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:49 am 
True the language is crappy...but if you just want to make a crappy porg. that takes like 2 secs and does something that is fun/easy for you...it is useful,,,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:42 am 
C++ programs don't just work on other OSes like you say. They need to be ported - copy the code and use another compiler. And, that's not easy...because you most have likly used MS's MFC lib, only for VC++. But, there is a lib call TWIN, that lets you use the MFC on Linux.

VB is nice and easy. Infact, i'm downloading a free VB program for Linux!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:51 am 
So the argument here is, "BASIC is a bad language because one company makes a BASIC environment that only targets their own operating system, and because you have to pay to obtain a copy of it, and because it uses a run-time library."

If that's true, I hate C!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:32 pm 
Hi

Personally, I say VB sucks and Delphi Rocks, but that's my oppinion. And there will also soon be a Delphi for .NET