OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:Visual Basic 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:48 pm 
I like VB!

How could you not like a language where its so easy, like just to make a message box just type: MsgBox("Message" )?

Oh well...this is turning into a argument :-X

??р?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:10 pm 
Well, that's the thing. I like scripting languages, AGI, Java, Python, *nix shell, because they are easy. However, they sacrifice their ease of use and portability for performance. Only in my greatest moments of desperation will I run a Java applet or application on my antique Mac. So, I only program in C for that platform. My dislike of VB has nothing to do with Microsoft. I've just had a lot of bad experience with their many versions of BASIC. Additionally, I've watched my girlfriend use VB, and I was often annoyed by certain abuses within VB.

But, hey, it basically boils down to my preferred flavor, and if y'all can make good software with VB, I'll be really proud of you for your good work.

But please don't get me started about MS's dotNet initiative :P ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:04 am 
Hey,

Yes i know that the code has to be recompiled. But at least you have SOME portability, unlike VB which has NONE!! And NO, not all programs use MFC, as a matter of fact, alot don't.

As for the MessageBox thing, it's easy in C++ aswell, watch:

Code:
#include <windows.h> //Include the Windows Header

int main(int arg, char* args[])
{
MessageBox(NULL, "TextInMessageBox", "Title", MB_OK); //Is that hard??, note: you can put | MB_ICONINFORMATION or something like that which i will not go into, and the mb will have an icon. It isn't hard!!!

return 0; //Return a value.
}

C++ & C are good, and VB is a waste of time, that is my opinion. As for Delphi, i don't know, all i know is that the enviroment is horrible, all of Borlands Enviroments are horrible in my opinion ;D

Ciao ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:51 am 
It is clearly time for us all to gather together and recall the time-honored maxim:

[font=Verdana]All Hardware sucks,
All software sucks
[/font]

... and all go on our separate ways, secure in the knowledge that we can hack whatever we like in peace.

[size=0]Besides, Scheme is infinitely better than either C or VB :P[/size]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:03 am 
if you have a fondness for brackets.. then yes it may be better.. :) better watch out for that recursion if you want it to actually be infinite though.

- Nick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:36 pm 
Well, I don't understand why some of you are insisting on "C" type languages so much, the thing is >> You just select the best language for your program...

if you want to write a program quickly without worrying all about API, VB is great , so you may do that, if you want to write a game or something that requires running fast, you choose C, if you want to write an operating system, you choose assembly, thats it...

No need to blame any programming language, there may even be cases that it might be better to choose APL, SIMULA or even FORTRAN :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:35 pm 
Lets just stop before this becomes a "War Of The Languages"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:47 am 
in my opinion. VB is ok. its fun and what not to program in but its just another item microsoft made to further forcing people to buy there products, (hence furthering the microsoft conspiracy i am currently working on publishing) along will all the visual languages and languages specific to microsoft products. After working hard on this boot sector, assembly is accually becomming my favorit langauge!!! who'd thunk it?!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:36 am 
Tom wrote:
Lets just stop before this becomes a "War Of The Languages"

Hello?