OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First programming language
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:59 pm 

I first encountered QBASIC in 2002 on an old pc that was given to me by my parents, I first started programming in it around 2004, after which I moved on to VB6, C64 BASIC, 6502 asm, C, Java, various .NET languages and ARM asm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:38 pm 

C using Turbo C 2.1 for DOS eventually followed by Borland C++ with Win32 API.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:43 pm 

I just wanted to know what everybody's first experience with computers was and how it evolved into OSDev today. And here I am, playing around with tiny Python programs.

The reason I'm here is that I think I caught the OSDev bug, but maybe Iam being a little too ambitious. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:01 pm 

SeanMc wrote:
The reason I'm here is that I think I caught the OSDev bug, but maybe Iam being a little too ambitious. :P

The most important thing is to stay positive and confident about what you are doing. Ask for criticism, and dont take it too hard if someone says something is bad about your OS (but dont let anyone tell you how your OS should be!). Like myself, i used to think my code was complete crap, until i asked the guys on the IRC. Turns out it had minor issues, and wasnt formatted well (i knew that, i just didnt know what to do about it, turns out there are tools for that).
So, dont think much about it. Just start, once you get sucked in and pass a certain point (for me it was getting GDT to work), you will not stop. Remember to look for information if you have any issues, use google. If you are not able to find something by searching, ask here or on the IRC. People on this forum enlightened me quite a few times, and usually these were *really* dumb mistakes.

JUST DO IT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 am 

C++ on Windows XP was my first language in 2004. Few months later I installed Linux and tried Python and fell hard into bash scripting. Now I'm a C fan still desiring to know how programs tick and compiling source code daily.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Logo gets the honour of being my official first language.

I was starting to think I was the only one!

Started with Logo when I was about 11, moved on to DOS's QBasic interpreter when I was 14, started learning C and assembly when I was 16.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:39 am 

BASIC v2.0 / v7.0 on the C128. (I did some BASIC programming on the ZX-81 and the C64 before, but those were not my own machines, and those "programs" did not do much, if anything reasonable. I *did* write a couple of "real" programs on the C128, so that's my "first".)

Then, ARexx on the Amiga.

Then C, and C++.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:02 am 

Logo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:43 pm 

Visual Basic .NET, when i was 8 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

It was C. Its syntax captivated me; I was motivated to program as my dad used to do software engineering before he pursued his small business goals.
I also did Terrapin Logo for a while. It's an amazing language.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 am 

I originally had a windows xp dell pc where i made games with powerpoint (if that counts?) then i moved to linux and learn python at 6 years old then i learned loads of random languages like cpp, java, js, cs, ... and then i stumbled across c when i was 9 and stuck to that along with python and i learned asm a couple years ago, just before osdev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 am 

My first programming language was the drag & drop language that came with the Lego Mindstorms NXT 1.0, my first "real"/PC language was Java.
Then I learned JS, Lua, C#, Python, (NASM) Assembly, and recently C/C++.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm 

I tried programming quite late. like 10 years ago. Before, I was all into chemistry. :lol: It was VBA first. Then Java. Then I quickly moved to C and first tried of x86 assembly. I tried C++, but left it, just because I liked C a lot. About a year ago, I added some real experience with ARM assembly and then MIPS. So, basically, I am a C & assembly guy, that looks at OOP as like WTF it is?77 :lol:

Ah, this topic is about the first language. Then probably it was Pascal. In school and university, but that wasn't serious, I don't remember anything from that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 am 

I'm presently regressing in my coding :-)

I've just setup my old Apple IIe platinum, Atari 130XE and Amiga 1000 and started coding in 6502 and 68000 Assembly again! I aso have a C128 but no more room to spare and in anycase the A1000 represent Commodore just as well.

I have a Floopy emu and a CF card HDD card for the Apple IIe on order and I'm waiting for my Syba RS232 serial card for my PC to use with my SIO2RS232 to link my Atari to said PC to transfer MAC/65 to floppy. I'm planning to buy a floppy emu for it also but I'm a bit short of cash at the moment.

On the Apple IIe I'm using Lazer's Interactive Symbolic Assembler since I have a book for it.

As for the A1000, I'm trying to find a ram expansion and one of those new wifi adapter. But I can still transfer thing to it via floppy with crossdos. I have a set of DevPac 3 floppy for it anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 am 

that would be C at the age of 15, I was a huge linux freak and had lots of fun with system calls and file descriptors and...good times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next