OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Turbo Pascal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:01 pm 
Does anyone know if Turbo Pascal is a good language? Is it powerful? Is it as good as C++?

most importantly, should I use it to start off with instead of C++?

Post subject: Re:Turbo Pascal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:03 pm 
I have said I am going to do C++. I will if people think i should, but i think i should start off with something light and easier.

What i mean is, should i jump into such a powerful and complicated language? im only 13.

if not, is turbo pascal the language to start off with?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:06 pm 
Just use what you want to use, nobody can decide for you.

If you want to learn c++ learn c++ if you want to learn turbo pascal learn turbo pascal... it is all up to you to decide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:09 pm 
i understand chris, you have told me this before. but i would like an experienced programmers thought on this. chris, your awesome. you are a rolemodel to me. i just wanted to know if turbo pascal is good. c++ is hard. so i am saying, to learn my first language other than agi, should i start off with a kinda easy one instead of jumping into a harder one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:15 pm 
Well here is a bit of advice don't look for which is easier or which is harder, look for the language you are most interested in learning, and a language you would like to learn, not what people tell you, you should learn.

For instance right now I am interested in perl so I am learning it. I didn't choose it based on anything such as how hard/easy it is or what other peoples opinions where on it(because most people say that perl sucks and php is better...)

Everybody has their preferences so nobody could really tell you which to go for(it would be their opinion on what they like and not really trying to point what would best for YOU to learn).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:21 pm 
ok. thanx chris. if you were me what would you go for? and my last question, is turbo pascal powerful?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:24 pm 
also chris, do u know if its easy? just wondering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:30 pm 
I don't think it's very hard to learn. We had TP-lessons about 5 years ago.

In Belgium, TP was th? language people were taught in computer-lessons at university. Now they teach Java and C (not C++).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:32 pm 
Well it doesn't really matter what is more powerfull in my opinion.

You should use the one you like and the one that is most suited to what you are making and what you are trying to do. For instance if you making a game you would use the software that would be the most usefull in making a game... not the most powerfull software, understand?

As I said easy/hard to learn doesn't matter, it is dependent on what you want to learn... and don't give up till you learn it no matter how hard or too easy it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:32 pm 
well if you have had experience, in your opinion, do you think its powerful and good?

i really think im gonna get into this language first. then maybe move to c++.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:39 pm 
I started with QBasic, which isn't a powerful language at all. But I liked it very much and I had a great time making programs with. One of the last programs I made was a sort of game like King's Quest ( ;) )!!! And than I found out about AGI.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:40 pm 
I started with QBasic as well, then afterward moved to AGI, then I started trying stuff like C++, VisualBasic, and SCI, then PHP, now I am going to perl.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:45 pm 
k, thanx guys. i did do very little with qbasic, but i think i'll start off with turbo pascal. after i become good at it, i will move on. thanx for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:47 pm 
I was just about to start with PHP. I also tried a lot in Visual Basic, but since I'm working with AGI... :D

We also learned Perl at university, it's very good for websites and stuff, I liked it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:49 pm 
Well, my first language was C++ which I learned when I was 13.
But of course, What do you lot care? ::)
IMHO, C++ is quite easy to learn. There are the downsides, such as having to ASCii. :P