OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: C++ Programming.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:20 am 
Hey,

First of all i'd like to say how good SCI Studio is (I only found out about it a couple of months ago.) - But i'm not going to start making a game untill the VGA Version is released. Keep up the good work Brian.

Now - Lets get to the point,
I am just starting off in C++ Programming and i know only the VERY basic things. First of all i would like to ask you'se, if you have experience in C++ to E-Mail me some sample scripts. (Also, the SCI Studio Source Code doesn't want to download - i want to see the scripts for this, could somebody please fix this?)

I use Microsoft Visual C++ - But just send me the raw scripts - the .cpp files or any others that may be compatible. And i would also like to know if any of you know where to get any FREE C++ tutorials?

Over all keep up the good work on SCI Studio - BUT i will not start making a game until the VGA Version comes out (Hopefully soon.)

Lastly, from time to time i might have a problem or question about C++ Programming - is it okay for me to post it up here? (I an planning to make a Game-Engine aswell.) And is there anybody in this forum that knows C++?

Thank you for Reading this and Keep up the good work on SCI Studio - and Please release the VGA Version soon.

Bye. ;)

Post subject: Re:C++ Programming.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:23 am 
my local library has free c++ tutorials.

- Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:31 am 
Ok,

But i was looking for more of an online tutorial source,
Do you know any?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:54 am 
Could Somebody Please Read this and get me some C++ Information or tutorials - The one reply above is not enough.

Please help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:54 am 
www.geocities.com/progsharehouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:05 am 
Thank you for the Web-Site - It is a pretty good rescource,

But i would like other rescources aswell - so please post more - anybody!

Thank You. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:56 am 
I doubt you are going to find much in the way of free stuff on the web. At least free stuff that is useful. If you don't own Jesse Liberty's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days yet GET IT ;D. It's well worth the money. Any time I see anyone looking for resources to learn C++ someone points out this book. Now, if your interested in learning MFC stuff check out the microsoft website. For all of their "evilness" they do have a very informative site. I've had a few questions about changing or adding something to SCI studio and Brian has brought up Assembly language more than once. If your completely new to programming I think learning the basics of Assembly might help you when it comes to making a game engine. Especially if you intend on using Sierra resource files or anything.

Good luck on your search.

Should this topic be moved somewhere else?

joe: Are you the same joe that released a demo where the ego could shoot a weapon or something? Do you still have that demo and source. I would be interested in it but, the old link is dead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:27 am 
if you're new to C++, I don't know if the SCI Studio source code would be the best place to start. I haven't looked at it to know for sure, but I think it was written with the Borland libraries and probably will not compile under Visual C++. I would recommend starting out with console programs at first and avoid dealing with third party libraries, because they'll probably just confuse you as a beginner (e.g., when writing a program with MFC, you don't even write the main function yourself).

I don't know of any good free references, although you could probably find some if you did some Internet searches (google.com group search tends to come back with lots of results on programming stuff).

If what you want to learn is how to write Windows programs, then probably the best Visual C++ resources are Programming Windows by Charles Petzold and Programming Windows with MFC by Jeff Prosise. However, these are definitely NOT free.

I can point you to a decent C/C++ standard library reference at: http://www.dinkumware.com/htm_cl/index.html

but I usually use the books I mentioned and the msdn library for just about everything I need to know anymore. I've also got a book called C++ in Plain English by Brian Overland, which is what I learned the C++ language from. The current edition has a good C++ language reference, including descriptions of all the operators, keywords, and standard library functions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:32 am 
Thank you for the suggestions i will try what u said,

BUT i don't have the MSDN Library - I only Have Visual Studio 6 Enterprise. Where can i get the MSDN Library and how much does it cost?

Thank you for the help. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:36 am 
Visual Studio 6 enterprise should have come with an MSDN library CD...however, it is also available online at

http://msdn.microsoft.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:20 pm 
Well...... I still don't have the MSDN Library - I might Buy it (MIGHT)

Anyway,
i've found a useful web-site on C++ programming - if anybody else is a beginner - visit it at: http://www.cprogramming.com/ Just last night i learned some new skills and techiques (i still have a long way to go) - I only know the VERY basics of C++ and the only program i've managed to write is a simple calculator.

NOW what i need is sample Source Code - So if anybody has a calculator program Source Code in C++ - Tell me where to get it, or email it to me (i want source code of any software, not just of a calculator progeam)

Well i still have a long way to go in learning C++ - So please if you know any good web-sites or any other source of information for C++ - Tell me what they are.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:09 am 
if you access MSDN from its website, you should have free access to it -- there's only a charge if you get it delivered to you on CD or DVD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:15 pm 
If you REALLY want to learn C++ then I would definately recommend the books listed above. Another great one is Accellerated C++ (Koenig/Moo). You'll need to spend a bit of money to get the books of course, but it is worth it in the end. The books are always helpful as look ups. I still use my C++ textbook from my freshman year when Im writing programs (now in my junior year, so its not that old).
Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:52 am 
Thanks for the help,

But i am looking for free rescources at the moment.

Thanks. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:55 pm 
search the web with "www.google.com" type "c++ tutorial" and you will find a lot!
For source codes check out "www.programmersheaven.com"