OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Linux Survey
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:25 am 
I am working on a project and I would like everybody's opinion on Linux.

Would you like to see more people using linux or would you rather not considering it might destroy it?

What would you say to a computer company that would only sell linux based computers?

You would be able to customize your own computer system and also be able to customize your type of linux that you want on the computer. You would be able to pick from one of the well known linux companies or come up with a version of your own and we would install it for you.

What do you guys think?

If you want to join me or if you would like to contribute to this project in any way, you can email me at [email protected].

Explain why you want to join this project or contribute, what your computer skills are, and what you could bring to this project.

Post subject: Re:Linux Survey
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:53 am 
You should not cross post.

I just removed your post from the AGI board, if I where a moderator of the other boards I would have removed them as well, don't ever do this again, and hopefully soon df will be back to delete the rest of your spam. >:(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:34 am 
Your spam is not welcome here either. There are so many other Linux places, why choose this AGI & SCI forum? The way I see it, most people either are totally devoted to *nix, to which they already are programmers and know about customizing it, or totally into Windows with little or no understanding of it unlikely to learn any time soon. Either way, I highly doubt there are many, if any Windows users who aren't already aware of Linux and it's ability.

I've installed and used many distributions of linux, and find it very bothersome at times. I'm always having to install more libs, compile code after code just to try out programs. A few months ago, I got RedHat 7.2, and on my PIII 900 is ran three times more sluggish than XP. I was going to use it to replace my Windows completely, but WINE kept crashing me.

I like to have an OS as simple, fast and uncustomized as possible so I don't get distracted and can get work done. That's one reason after using XP I installed normal Windows on another parition. It's fast, and I can install/download programs easily. I don't have to compile all the programs I want to run and so forth. I do know my Linux, and know all about things like Lindow's Click & Run, but it's not going to have most of the programs I want on there. If it ran Win32 apps, I'd use Windows 3.1 all the way! It's fast and does the job!

I fully support those who use Linux (except spammers), but it's not as crash proof as the dedicated hype it to be. It's crashed me before, even with default installations (WINE for example, many times). All operating systems crash, usually due to software from other vendors. I mean, when have you been playing solitaire or using the calculator under Windows and had it crash?

Anyways, I'm just peeved at your cross posting. Everyone who is going to read your post will do so if you post it in the appropriate forum. Most of us check them all anyways.

BTW, there's nothing in your "project" that people can't already do with Linux themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:59 pm 
I do use WinXP & Linux, and I like them the same amount.
I would like Linux to be a bit easier than Mandrake, like as easy as XP.
I don't recomend Linux unless your a programmer, so I would like more OS programmers to consider Linux ( if they'r HD & ideas agree ;) )

Hope that helps you,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:25 am 
Uh... there's about a bazillion ultra-geek-ninjas who are already making custom OSs on a board on mega-tokyo. Real *nix users know how to use their stuff, and don't need a company to do it for them. Those who don't use that OS probably don't need it.

And... Brian... WINE is kind of a piece of crap, although there are people working on DirectX emulation, which seems a bit better. That and LinuxGames is working on directly publishing good, easy-to-install distros of commercial games, so we shouldn't be subjected to running a VM on top of our OS.

Peace!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:05 pm 
I like Windows, because Linux won't run any of my favorite games :-X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:30 pm 
To Andrew_Baker, I'm not a "ultra-geek-ninja" ( but would like to be ;) ) I do know how to use Linux and XWindows, but I meant that, I would like Linux easier for people who think it's complicated. I don't think it's complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm 
I use win98 and I don't think I'm going to buy Linux someday.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:46 pm 
Isn't Linux free, Robin?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:40 am 
If I wanted to try it, I'd have to buy a cd or two also.. too much trouble to download 2-3 cd's over dialup.

- Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:56 am 
Ah, but when you have friends with laptops and wireless ethernet cards and the free time to wardriving...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:22 am 
Mr. T wrote:
Isn't Linux free, Robin?

Not in the stores. $149.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:00 am 
In stores, they charge extra because you get manuals, cds and proper support where you can ring up redhat or whatever to get help. Most of the time, you can get people who burn the cd images cheap for you and you only have to pay a few bucks.

My uni actually has this service so I've played around a bit with mandrake by buying some burnt cds from them.

- Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:48 am 
Nick Sonneveld wrote:
In stores, they charge extra because you get manuals, cds and proper support where you can ring up redhat or whatever to get help.

I paid $50 for Half-Life with manuals and proper support.
I still not understand why I should pay $150 for an os is supposed to be free.

Even Win XP is cheaper.

Again. I'm not going to install Linux on my computer.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:28 pm 
Yes, but what I'm saying is that yes, you can get it for $150 out of the shop.. or you can get it for FREE off the internet or get it for $10 or something from somebody who burns it on a cd for you. All these alternatives are legal and are allowed by open source licenses.

The extra support that you pay for, can be easily replaced by internet messageboards or mailing lists.

- Nick