OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Windows 95 has done it again!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:23 pm 
That goddamn win95 has done it again! We were installing a program on the computer (not this one :)), when it said it should restart to be able to continue the installation. We did that, and it asked it again. After a couple of reboots, while rebooting, he said to replace the disk, although there was no disk. I made a boot disk and restarted the computer. Now, I could get onto the harddisk. It seemed that windows had deleted all the starting files (autoexec.bat, command.com, config.sys and some hidden files.) Now, those files are back again (I copied them and adjusted them), but when I want to start windows again, it first rattles for a while, while showing a screan that says:"
Quote:
Cannot find the registerfile. It is possible that there aren't any registerservices available for this session.
There is a XMS-cache-problem. Registerservices aren't possible in this session.

Then it show this screen (one of those annoying blue screens):
Quote:
[center]
The initialisation of the VFAT-device has failed.
[/center]
A by VFAT required device or a required source is not present or available. Cannot load VFAT any further.
The system has stopped.

The computer won't start files while booting which are placed in c:\win95\command, and the CD-rom reader doesn't work either.

Does anyone know what I should do? That computer is quite important to us, so it has to work again, and I've done all I can to do so, although it isn't enough.

Post subject: Re:Windows 95 has done it again!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:57 am 
Johoho and a bottle of rom! I found a solution to the problem. Seems like it's time to reinstall Win95.

That ship will be ready to sail the seven seas again VERY soon ;D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:09 pm 
A ship with holes in it.... :P
and sometimes gets blue and says "Please restart your computer....",
bsod :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:39 pm 
With Winny 95, it's not seaworthy, you're right there, but it is able to sail, certainly after I fixed it again.

Btw: Don't mind that language, I've been working on 'Little Pirate' for so long that I've almost grown into the game. That ship-thingy is just a normal reaction then ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:44 pm 
Windows 95? I thought Windows 98 SE was the current limit of ancient-ness, but yet again I have been proven wrong.

(Buying a new computer might help with Win2K or XP might help.) :o

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:37 am 
Win95 ancient? Hehehe, when you've attended some informatica-lessons in our school, you'll know what ancient is.
Quote:
Some computers have a floppy drive. Others have a hard disk. Some have both.

Or another one:
Quote:
To turn the computer on or off, toggle the switch at the back of the computer.

After those things, they'll learn us how to copy in win95 and drag those rectangles at the side of the screen. For pro's, they'll learn how to save a drawing from Paintbrush on a diskette :D.
That's modern education for ya. They're still in the stone age concearning informatica.

-Kon-Tiki-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:32 am 
Wow. Lots of computers don't even come with a floppy drive anymore. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:35 am 
When I was in grade-school, the most advanced computers we had were Apple IIE's. And mind you that those computers had no hard drives and you had to boot off a floppy every time. During "Computer Class" the most advanced thing we would do would be to write:

10 PRINT "HI, THERE"
20 GOTO 10

or, in the advanced class, we would have OREGON TRAIL tournaments. And I'm only 24!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:38 am 
Andrew_Baker wrote:
When I was in grade-school, the most advanced computers we had were Apple IIE's.

Quote:
in the advanced class, we would have OREGON TRAIL tournaments. And I'm only 24!!!

Wow.. I remember that.. I went on vacation to Florida in the middle of it and I never was able to finish..

I also remember (quite fondly, actually) drawing a UFO using vectors on an Apple IIE. It absolutely blew everybody else's pictures away..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:41 pm 
Remember those old PC-XTs? Those old 8086's? The computers with 2 black 5.1/4" floppy drives in the front? We have 2 of those at school. The teacher who bought them paid $3000 for the computer(no monitor). It's sad now to think you paid for a $3000 computer that ran at 4.77MHz...

Hard disks? At school, we have a hard disk mean't for display... and man was it a display. The thing weighed about 20LBs, was a 16x12x6" box with 4 10" disks in it. The teacher told me it was between 5 and 10MBytes and was used in a server... We have a grand total of 1 Apple Mac in the school (Use by our graphics teacher - figures) and about 400 PCs(no joke). 450 if you include the dissassembled non-functionals...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:48 am 
I remember when i was in 4th grade (1997) and the teacher would let us play a game (text - adventure!) It was an old pc, Cant remember. anyway. The person in the class that the teacher thought was the most pc - savvy thought that to play the game you had to stick the disk in then turn the pc. It took 5 minutes to boot up. Once, he turned on the pc and forgot to put on the disk. He said, "Ma'am, i forgot to put in the disk, what now?" So, naturally, the clever people are the idiots and the idiots are clever. So I got up and said, 'hey, lemme do this.'... If you are getting bored, i'll cut to the chase.

I used dos to play the game. the teacher sent me to the principal and told her i 'broke' the pc. I was suspended. Then, my dad phoned up to ask why. 'He was loading a virus into the system!'
'Yeah right, what did he type?' 'DIR, then cd something, then prog1...'

[glow=lightblue,2,300]Stupid teachers.[/glow]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:10 pm 
LOL!
I've been stung for installing "viruses" into school computers several times, like when I installed the shareware version of DOOM on one of the PC's...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:30 pm 
gee i wonder why YOU were caught...

"DIE YOU DEMON B***ARD!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:05 pm 
Hehe, they didn't care when someone installed Quake. (Which actually had a virus 8))

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:26 am 
It goes to show that teachers don't know any more than most people do... they just have little pieces of paper that get them a job.