OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:The Dark Convergence help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:19 pm 
Well does anyone know a language that would allow me to make a first person shooter like wolf 3d and distribute it? A popular language i guess. I dont know. I really dont want to get into C++ yet. That seems way to difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:45 am 
I know C++ seems hard at first, but it is actually pretty easy, once you get the hang of what everything means, that is. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:50 am 
you wont be able to make any sort of 3d shooter without learning an advanced language eg. c++. I see you're only 13 joey, so you're only still grasping the concepts of algebra, and I bet you havent even touched topics like trigonometry or calculus. if you're still anxious to make a 3d first person shooter, borrow a maths text-book from someone a few years older than you, and learn a complex programming language. sorry if I sound harsh, but sometimes people need a slap in the face.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:19 am 
Maybe this can help:
Quote:

For even more 3D game engines, search Google.
Hope this was helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:52 am 
Ok, thanx Kon Tiki, I will try that out.

Also MY DAMN COMPUTER WONT LET ME LOGIN!!!!! I login and it shows my messages and stuff at the top. then i click on a thread and it says at the top login, blah blah blah. but if i go to home, my name is there. I think it is something about cookies not being enabled. could someone tell me how to fix this?

btw: Cosmic R, I am going up the steps. I am not just making games for myself or others, I am programming cause i want that to be my job as an adult. I am moving up the steps. I started with agi, now i am moving to qbasic. after i master that, i will move to a better language. Chris told me you can probably do anything with any language but you have to be a really good programmer. I'll be as good as all of you one of these days. anyway, i think this is the right way to go. If anyone thinks i should do this a different way, give me your thoughts. But most importantly, why i cant login. (now my messages wont get more posts for more stars. :'( )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:08 am 
About the i cant login, i found it out. IE6 disabled cookies for this site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:08 am 
Edit Wolfenstein 3D's GFX, ala Mortal Kombat Wolfenstein, and you have a new game!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:30 am 
I don't think I'd ever use QBASIC for anything, to be quite frank. My stance on BASIC in general is a don't-touch policy. I'd even stay away from Visual BASIC if I were you.

What I would suggest is C, PASCAL, Python, and any number of free scripting languages out there. The reason I advise against any BASIC -based languages out there is that while they are easy, they often reinforce bad programming style. Plus, you'll find that C and derivatives as well as PASCAL and derivatives are more powerful and very portable, and scripting languages like Python (and even AGI), have already done a great deal of the sound and graphics work for you and are very, very portable.

Remember, though, I am very biased and work in a sort of personal niche.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:03 am 
Games such as Gorilla and Snake I'm convinced are yet another *useless and shameless* promotion by Microsoft for their junk.

If you're serious about making a 1st person shooter (and I'm fairly sure you are) BASIC really shouldn't be your weapon of choice.

VB, unlike BASIC, has it's own niche where it's actually commercially useful, and it's not for game design. That honor goes to the wonderful, and boring, world of business interfaces.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:38 am 
so what are you saying adam? I shouldnt use basic? if not, i will look at python and see if i should get into that. i dont no what to do. is python powerful? almost as much as c? can i make games, especially 1st person shooters? please tell me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:24 pm 
I am saying you definitely shouldn't use BASIC for ANY sort of serious programming, simply because it's just not powerful enough, and for that reason it doesn't encourage the use of sound programming principles.

I would definitely encourage the use of Python, because it runs on multiple platforms, and it's object oriented (MORE powerful than C - to answer your question). I haven't used it myself, but I hear a lot of good things about it from a few guys I know who've worked with it.

Andrew_Baker wrote a particularly interesting piece on first-person shooters in AGI (if you haven't already checked it out) it's at
<http://www.mega-tokyo.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1299>

Forgive me if that hyperlink doesn't work right.. I'm still not positively sure how to get the WHOLE link, but I'll figure it out someday :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:51 am 
I did? Actually, that's a top-down shooter. Sierra actually did have a first-person mode in Manhunter: New York, and if you notice Robin's little tag line on his posts, he claims to be able to make a Doom-like with AGI or SCI. And he's right, you can. I didscovered that you can make a platforming game or RPG or even a Rogue-like with AGI. It's a language, so you could even make a crappy database with it if you wanted (Lotus for AGI?). However, every language is developed for a specific purpose. LISP is great for AI, and crackdotcom actually made the arcade game Abuse in it, just to prove they could. BASIC was largely created for non-programmers and beginning programmers. The name says it all. Hell, my old lady is Visual Basic certified and she has no clue what I do at my computer all day. This isn't to say you can't make attractive games in any flavor of BASIC. There are quite a few amateur games made in VB that look all right. It's just that VB wasn't made to make games. AGI is optimized for a particular brand of adventure games. It's cool to throw in little arcade sequences and other enhancements, but at its core, it is designed to display certain kinds of graphics and sounds and parse input in a specific manner. Hell, I'll use Klik'n'Play if it gets the job done the way I want. (Actually thinking about this if I can score a free copy; I think it is free...). Anyway, I'm promoting Python as a next generation adventure programming environment because I'm impressed by its portability and its nice graphics and sound handling routines (especially those of Pygame, a set of libraries for Python), the fact you can easily embed C code into Python, and its key-handling routines are easier than C.

However, I will say that if you decide to use BASIC and can make a good game, more power to you. This isn't me taking an anti-Micro$oft political stance... just trying to steer you towards some more effective development options.

By the way, if you're looking for 3-D Engines, check out the http://www.the-underdogs.org --Home of the Underdogs and its affiliates. Game Hippo is also good (It's through Game Hippo that I first encountered AGI development). They got the goods you want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:22 am 
i wanted a popular language, not a fan made engine or whatever. i will look into python. can u make fps in it? is it free?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:25 pm 
DooM comes with all sorts of modifications (Dehacked patches.) It wouldn't be too hard to edit those (download the shareware version from http://www.idsoftware.com, or get it from a warez site.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:02 pm 
or you could buy the bloody thing.

- Nick