OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: YaBB board mods.
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:52 pm 
Yipped I made my first board mod for YaBBSE. It adds the member button to the menu.

Check it out at http://www.agigames.com/board/ Just register and login then the button will appear.

I am working on another mod for avatar upload for registered users. I want to start working on the yabbse board mod team so I am practicing making mods and altering yabbse.

If you want to install this mod I made download http://dns3.omnibit.it/mangaitalia/tmp/BoardMOD.zip

Then download http://www.agigames.com/menulist.zip
and put the contents of the .mod file in the mods/1.1.0 directory and then run board mod and it will apply the mod to your boards.

Post subject: Re:YaBB board mods.
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:21 pm 
Forum modding is fun. I'm currently doing mods for phpBB. I've never really looked into the YaBB code tho.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:35 pm 
Boardmoding is quite fun. I am also planning on making a mod for password protected boards...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 6:20 pm 
Yippe, someone liked my mod, and translated it to German, so now German users can install this mod.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:10 pm 
Well I have now begun working on my second mod, this one is much bigger than the first and alters alot more files. It is a global mod center. When the ported over the yabb to php they never added a global mod center like they had in the pl/cgi version. So I am making one. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:29 am 

so what does the member button do exactly?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:52 pm 
Do you remember how on the SP1 version of yabb how it had the member button in the menu. Well this mod installs it. It can only be seen if you are logged in. If you go to my test board at http://www.agigames.com/board/ and register and login, then you will see the members button in the menu.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:11 pm 
I guess this isn't any use to anyone here since their isn't any global moderators, but I completed my second board mod. It gives global moderators their own center, just like the admins have their admin center, the only difference is the admin chooses what the global mods have access to do. The admins can change the settings in forum preferences and settings.

This mod is pretty big, it alters 8 files and has 26 steps that it must go through to install it.

It can be downloaded from http://www.agigames.com/globalmod.zip

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:39 am 
I have been making more and more mods... I now have made one that removes the delete button from users profiles. This prevents users from deleting themselves.

I made a YaBBPack remover for the admin center to remove the YaBBPack stuff.

I am still trying to think up more ideas for mods to make so if anyone can think of anything they would like to see in YaBBSE tell me so I can maybe make it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:40 am 

how do you make a mod? i just hacked my yabb, i wouldnt mind making it a mod...

quite simple. 1 file change, comment out 1 line of code, add in a couple of lines in the same place...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:45 am 
I am making the mods with YaME(Yet another Mod Editor) Then I run YaBB Board Modifier 2.5 SE and it installs or uninstalls the mods to my board.

YaME can be downloaded from boardmod.xnull.com

Just a warning don't download Board modifier 2.5 from boardmod.xnull.com that is the cgi/pl version download it from the link below for the php version.

and Board modifier 2.5 can be downloaded from http://dns3.omnibit.it/mangaitalia/tmp/BoardMOD.zip

Using boardmod compared to editing the files manually is much better and alot safer incase you make mistakes because it has an install and uninstall function which is really handy incase you accidentally mess up your board with your code.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:55 am 

well i just did one by hand and created a yabbpak and tried to install it and it errord about opening my .mod so i'm thinking i had an error in creating the pack...

gonna play around..

the error being

fopen("././mods/ModeratorIP/Packages/modification.mod","wb") - Permission denied
(/home3/www/mega-tokyo/forum/Sources/Packer.php ln 125)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:13 am 
Uh df, boardmod has nothing to do with yabbpacks. YaBBpacks have a completely different source code and are incompatable with boardmod files. Infact YaBBpacks are not really supported as much because the YaBB designers haven't made a way for users to use any servers other than the original yabb servers.

The way boardmod works is you download all the .php files in the board's directory and in the sources directory. Then you tell the boardmod program where the index.php file is located on your harddrive. Then it will install the mods for you. Then you upload the .php files that where altered by boardmod and boom your board has all of the changes made to it.

Oh and just to let you know you need to put the .mod files in the mods directory which should be in the zip file for boardmod.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:18 am 
Also you might want to check out this http://www.yabb.info/community/index.php?board=134;action=display;threadid=4653;start=0

It covers many things on board mod and is the thread I read before I attempted to make my first mod.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:26 am 
I don't know why, but for some reason I think we might get nuked here at the mega-tokyo. *Builds shelter* ;)