OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stupid new Zeldas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:29 am 
Am I the only one who thinks that the two new gameboy zeldas are stupid?  Why did they do it on the old gameboy and not advance? If they had used the new gameboy they could have used the Zelda IV engine which is one of the coolest engines around.

Jonozon

Post subject: Re: Stupid new Zeldas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 2:21 am 
probably since the GBC is owned by lots of people already (huge stable market), and GBA (well in UK) only comes out this friday.... small/no current user base...

1 equals more sales than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 3:14 am 
Hi Jonozon.

The only stupid things of the new Zelda games are working  for gameboy color only.

I will not buy a gameboy advance because it price is too high
in Canada $139.99. The lowest price for a gameboy advance game is $49.99.

I may get a Nintendo 64 for only $134.99 and Super Mario 64
for $49.99.

I don't know the prices outside Canada.

When Nintendo launches his gameboy in 1989, you may pay
$129.99 for a gameboy vs $199.99 for a Nintendo 8-bit.
This was a better deal than today.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 11:54 am 
I agree that the Gameboy advance is too highly priced, however I still think that the two zelda's should have been made for it. Just like the N64 has come down in price, the Gameboy advance will sell for probably $80-$90 canadian in a year or two, if you buy it second had you will be able to get it even cheaper.

Jonozon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:53 am 
Hey guys!
Why do you buy games from nintendo?!
A good thing is to order a flash linker and a flash card from Hong Kong and make pirate copies of all GB and GBC games you can get hold of. When you've made a nice collection on your hd, you can load games into the flash card and all of a sudden you own every game there is.

Why? Because Nintendo is a fking game mafia. They don't deserve my money or your money. And on the other hand, a cheaply produced GBC game can't be worth 35$(or whatever it costs).

I think that there is flash hardware for the advance too.

Save money, make pirate copies!! (as long as it is Nintendo, that is)
 >:(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 3:39 am 
I disagree Jonozon.

Many compagnies like Nintendo loose some money because of
illegal copies and stay at the high price to compensated theirs losses.

If I have a compagnie and found an illegal copies of my games, I will raise the prices too.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 3:40 am 
I disagree Jonozon.

Many compagnies like Nintendo loose some money because of
illegal copies and stay at the high price to compensate theirs losses.

If I have a compagnie and found an illegal copies of my games, I will raise the prices too.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:04 am 
I don't see what you disagree with. I too think that Nintendo and every other game company is justified in their high prices simply because of the piracy that goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:28 am 
Oops. Wrong person. Sorry Jonozon.

I replied for Shantzy's message not for your message.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 6:11 am 
Nintendo is not losing money.
I remember back in those days in Sweden before most people had computers and the words roms and emulators where unheard of.
Was Nintendo cheap then?! Hell no!!
When the 8-bit Nintendo was at it's best, they charged 450 crowns for a game (about 40 USD$). Compare that with SEGA Master System which had games for just 300 crowns         (27 USD$). But of course, everyone choose Nintendo because of Mario and #?$ Zelda. Therefore, all good game producers like Konami made games for NES, and the SMS eventually died. Even though they had lower prices and much better graphic capability.
When Mega Drive had ruled the scene for a while, the SNES came. Also this time with sickeningly high prices. Of course, this machine won the market aswell because of an overload of commercials aimed towards children. I remember that they used to send flyers and sh%$ to our mailbox. They sent crap to every household in Sweden with kids aging from 5 to 15. In these flyers, there was "fake" reviews of games. That is, they gave high grades to all the games(their games) while serious magazines ditched games that weren't any good.
I had an AMIGA at that time. It was a very capable machine. And the games where much better, much more advanced and much cheaper. So I didn't fall into the trap to buy that terrible Donkey Kong Country for 70$(It was even more expensive than a standard SNES game).

Now in the end, Nintendo is finally coming down. I lift my hat off for Sony who has conquered the market. Because of them, there are hundereds of quality games to a fair price. Hopefully that ugly plumber is finally giving way to Tony Hawk(skateboard), Colin Mcrae(rally) and Final Fantasy.
Nintendo has got a sickening way to play with childrens mind, fooling them to buy bad games and to give much more money than a product is worth. The discusting Pok?mon craze is not an exception.

*pant* *pant* *pant* Okay, I've been ranting for a looong time now, but you've gathered by now, that I don't like Nintendo very much.  :)

So the underline is: Cheat Nintendo. They can afford it because of their endless exploitation of children.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 11:32 am 
Hi Shantzy.
Sorry for my english...

>:(

In Canada, I saw sega's games price higher than Nintendo's games.  When you bought a super mario bros at $50, you may
find After Burner and Phantasy star at $100 each.

Some third compagnies of Nintendo bought licenses from Sega to make their games to Nintendo. You may find After Burner and Shinobi for NES 8 bits.

That's why the Sega Master System is not as popular as Nintendo.

And Sega produces his games for home computers, C64,
Pc, Atari St, Amiga... It don't help to make the master system more popular.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 7:22 am 
Hi Robin.
No, of course the Master system could never be as popular as the NES and the reason for that is simple; There weren't any good games. With the exception of a few outstanding hits like Phantasy Star, YS the vanished Omen, Golden axe warrior etc.

Like I said, the NES started to rule the market early and therefore all quality games where made for the NES.
What buggers me, is that there was a selection of outstanding games for the NES, which never came to the western market or which weren't ever translated at all.
There where much more different and original games in Japan, not all of them great but some really interesting RPGs. Final Fantasy 1,2,3 are examples of games that couldn't be bought in Europe.  Apparently, Nintendo didn't think that RPGs would sell so they concentrated themselves on those stupid Disney games(and Warner Brothers etc.).

I think that it is a mockery to the game audience. Instead of selling the innovative and challenging games, they sold a lot of pointless platformers instead.

SEGAs games weren't all that great and they died quickly in the competition. But I must say, that they where braver. Many of the games which you could buy where quite strange, but then once in a while you would get a truely outstanding game like Phantasy Star. I think that Phantasy Star 1 is the absolutely best game there is for a 8-bit console and SHAME TO NINTENDO, because they didn't dare to release RPGs back then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 1:36 pm 
Shantzy,

I don't think you can blame Nintendo for releasing more crappy or dumbed down games. ?Just look at Deer Hunter, that was cheap, crappy but boatloads of people bought that. ?Nintendo probably saw people buying lots of the 80's equivalant of Deer Hunter (Duck Hunt?) and thought that was what people wanted. ?Metroid sold well in the US but not so well in Japan. ?Nintendo had to make some guesswork in order to save money.

Pirate games if you want too.. but justifying it because Nintendo's games are expensive or because they have dodgy business practices is stupid. ?There are lots of different ways you could protest but playing their products isn't one of them. ?You could write letters or set up petitions to ask for cheaper prices. ?Boycott their products by all means, but don't sneak around and play the games anyway.

Nintendo makes money from what they do so they're not going to stop. ?If you really believe in what you're saying, and not just looking for an excuse to play free games then educate people.. organise petitions.. write letters.. buy games from competing organisations but don't play the games that were produced from dodgy business practices (but complain about them anyway).

- Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:10 pm 
Yes Nick. I believe you have a very good point. Of course you're right about what you are saying but you don't know the whole background.

I've been quite a faithful Nintendo customer(quite some time ago). I didn't buy the SNES or the N64 but I had both the NES and the GB, and I did buy many games. Copying nintendo games and playing on platform (and or handheld) hasn't been possible for very long.
And I don't deny that there where some really good games for the NES aswell.

When I said, copy all the GBC games and play it on handheld, I didn't say that I was going to do it. I only own a normal Gameboy but I am going to play copied games on it (remember that most GBC games are only compatible with the GBC).  So, why am I going to steal games I like, thou asketh?
:).
Well, for one thing Gameboy games(G&W ones) are getting extremely hard to find in stores. You can probably only order it(and the cost for those games *gasp*). What Nintendo keep on doing is to shut down every page where you can download from. It doesn't seem to matter that noone wants to buy the games or that they are simple and at a 100kb size. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play those crappy oldies if it weren't for free.
It should be considered abandonware. I mean it's like Sierra would be on our @$$ all the time for playing with their interpreter. Luckily, Sierra seems to have nicer lawyers than Nintendo. If it where their product, we would've been shut down instantly.
I'm using a flashcard for Gameboy but I am sure that I belong to a minority. Most people just have some roms on the HD. I've seen sites that have been shut down for hosting NES roms. It's totally insane.
They are ruthless when it comes to protecting their interests. I remember when they claimed it was illegal to even buy a game second-hand (which is of course a LIE; they took it back later...reluctantly).

So Nick, I don't really care if I do the right thing or not and I don't care about justifying anything, but it serves them right. They have NEVER suffered from pirating in the true meaning( coz they haven't made computer games). Still, they go like mad dogs after their fans that play their ancient games on emulator. Also, I think they should have something for their sick Pok?mon invasion.

PS. Nick, I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at a nice plumber I used to know who succesively became a greedy fatass.
 ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 8:35 pm 
Shantzy,

Playing pirated copies of games when they are unavailable is one matter.  Bringing that up is a red herring to your real point, advocating piracy simply to punish Nintendo, or to call it what it is, vigilantism, which I don't think is ethically justifiable.  So it's good that you don't care about justifying it.  But why should you do things that you don't want to justify?  Should we not expect advocates to have reasons for what they say?  Should all action be completely arbitrary?  

I guess I could be overdramatizing the whole thing, but that's what makes it interesting.

Jimmy D