OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New QB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:48 am 
;D The other topic was getting kinda full, so I thought I'd just make a new one! PLS visit my QB website at www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic, and see my OSS (OS shell-text only) at www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic/acos

Thanks!

PS: All new discussions of QB (in relation to the "Let's try this again... Anyone like QBasic?" topic) can be posted here!

Post subject: Re: New QB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:30 pm 
Nice stuff. I think I will have a look at pclock.

I don't know why you stated another topic. These topics can be posted on repeadidly for a long time. Besides it was only on its second page that is not that much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:21 pm 
I have just updated my password system. It now supports the backspace key(took alot of code to do this, size increased from 134kb to 202kb compiled) would you like to take a look at it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:49 am 
:owow, that's big. Sure, I'd love a look! TXS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:04 am 
Thanks I will send it over. If you could would you send me some results on how it works on different systems. If it works well enough I am going to redesign it a little and make it so you can have users and each user can have a certain ammount of access to things.

All of that size comes from:

Polling for each possible key that the user can press.

Adding stars to the user.

Redid the system for adding the stars to include removing and
remember which keys were pressed.

Added this code to all of the password changing stuff too.

So it got real big from all of the stuff I changed/added. Escpecially for a QB program.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:31 am 
;DI'd say that's big for a QB program....BTW, other people reading this...this is a REALLY good program. Not like mine which isn't even secure... ::)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:34 am 
Hey, in case anyone's interested...I need some debuggers for my OSS (OS shell) that I programmed in QB. I'll be updating the one on the site (it's completely buggy...) and including some instructions. If you would like to help, please e-mail me at [email protected]
TXS!

Oh, yes. The last link in my signature takes you to the ACOS page. Also: When you e-mail me PLS put "debug" or similar in the subj line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:42 am 
My password systems major features are:

- *'s instead of text

- Password changing in the program instead of having to compile it each time you want to change it.

- My own encryption system

Changes since last version are:

- Published under a new company name

- Can use backspace to fix spelling mistakes

- Different encryption strings for better protection (uncompatible with older password files from older versions.)

- Passwords now have a maximum of 18 characters instead of letting you type as many as you want.

Thanks for the compliment. The size is the combined size of all the files needed to run the password system not just the executable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:43 am 
I will take a look at your OS and see what it might need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:45 am 
Thanx. Oh, and just so other people know, this is an OSS, not a full-blown OS. Half of the programs that u can run (which are all mine) aren't even finished.

(OSS stands for OS shell, BTW. It's a text-based OSS, if I didn't say that already.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:00 am 
Bad link, bad link! The website is at: http://www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic/acos/acos.htm, NOT at http://www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic/acos  !!! The bad link is a FTP version of the site (cool, I didn't know you could do that 8)!), and I DON'T WANT PEOPLE DOWNLOADING THE FILE WITHOUT VIEWING THE ACOS.HTM AND LICENCE.TXT FILES!!!

:-[whew.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:08 am 
I already saw that .htm file. I just tried out ACOS but it is not really got much functionallity to it. It needs to ignore caps. I tried typing Descrip but it ignored it because it was not descrip. You need to add some code to ignore this. Use my password system for an example if you don't know how to do this. In there should be some code that has this "UCASE$(pass$) this makes pass$ into all uppercase instantly then I compare it to a string which is in uppercase to see if they are the same. If they are then it will start doing a function.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:09 am 
Also you should add some sort of shell option so that the user can use dos commands to do things as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:20 pm 
Ya, good idea. I thought that QB automatically did a caps thing. Odd. Anyway, about the shell, any idea how to do that?
The functionality IS really low, but it's also only BETA 1.1. (You DO have BETA 1.1, right?). Also:
Anyone have any apps ideas? I'll need a few, 'cause like AGISCI says, the funtionality is low. ::)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:30 pm 
The thing about the shell thing is that you cannot use the ACOS commands while using it. If you want to use ACOS and the dos commands at the same time you would need to write your own code to do each of the dos functions.

I am not sure which version I have of it.