OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: New QB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:07 pm 
Hey instead of making all the files seperate you should make each of the other programs a sub-routine in side of the acos.bas file. Then call them from within that one program when needed. If you do this you can also compile it and make an exe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:55 am 
Yeah, I'll do that. Sorry it took me so long to RE:, NE wasn't letting this box appear, IE and Opera crash my system, so I'm buying new memory. Until then, I have to use this other computer (not mine). Thanx.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:38 pm 
Use my password program for an example of that. I separated main functions like encyting, decrypting, and changing the password into different subs rather than have it all in the main file and cluttering up my programming and making it harder to understand.

It should not be too hard to set it up. First you need to create the sub, then you need to declare it in the main sub. Then you will need to call the subs from the main sub when necessary. You will also be able to call the subs from other subs without having to define them in those subs as well.

Here is the code for defining the sub(taken directly from my password program):

Code:
DECLARE SUB Change ()
DECLARE SUB Encode ()
DECLARE SUB Decode ()

Then to call the subs use:

Code:
CALL Change
CALL Encode
CALL Decode

What you need to do now is copy and paste your other programs that were included and put them into subs. Give the subs reasonable names that reflect their functions and call them when the user wants to use them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:23 am 
Ok, I've got it working (thanx for the help, AGISCI!). I will upload it to my website ASAP. I will be putting an "Apps Ideas" post on the main (OSDEV) board here pretty soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:36 am 
If you need any help implimenting the dos commands and a shell just ask.

After my new version of my password system is fully tested and is working perfectly with no bugs you can add it as a sub for your OS. I think that after I get this version stable, I will start a new PW system from scratch except this time set up multiple user interface plus security levels for each user to set how much power they have within the program.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:51 am 
OK, so so far, this has been completely between me and AGISCI. For anyone else, version 2.2 is out, which includes finished calculator and the DOS shell is implemented.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:12 am 
Hey I would make the descrip.bas file part of the program rather than another .bas file. Also the reame.txt file at your web site is down, you should probably put it back up so people can see the license before downloading the ACOS program.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:01 am 
You can access the descrip.bas???? My computer won't let me! Stupid me apparently tested some software on it (a 30-day-expiration-type) and I can't add it. PLEASE ADD IT! Thanks! I'll check the readme file, thanks for the tip. No one sends me feedback about the site, so I don't know these things. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:37 am 
No, no, no I didn't say I could access it. The file is not even included in the .zip file. I was saying that when you add it you should make it into a sub rather than have it load the .bas file. I noticed all of the code was still in there for loading the .bas file rather than a sub. Sorry if you misunderstood me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:52 am 
Yeah, that's right. I didn't include it. It's still included in the source 'cause I have to rewrite it, and it's still in the same format so I remember to rewrite it.

The licence.txt file is working fine now, what browser are you using? Thanks for the help. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 11:51 am 
I am using AOL's built in browser which is a modified version of IE. I am using AOL 6.0 if that matters either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:39 am 
Huh. Can't see why the browser would be the problem, then. Server was probibly down, or something. I'll check my e-mail, my tracking service usually tells me when something like that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 10:59 pm 
It is there now but it wasn't earlier.