OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: It's time to ditch IE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:27 pm 
Well, I've heard of dozens of bugs in IE that are not yet fixed. Well after reading a recent article on ZDNet, and looking at sites that show that these bugs are there, I'm starting to think that it probably really is time to switch to Netscape. I wonder though, I MS has so many BIG problems in IE, what is .NET going to be like?

Here's the link to the ZDNet article:
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories ... 31,00.html

And here's a bunch list of bugs not yet fixed in IE6:
http://www.jscript.dk/unpatched/

K.J.

Post subject: Re: It's time to ditch IE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:55 pm 
I use Mozilla (actually forced at the moment, since a rogue uninstallation script deleted half my program files directory.. including IE) and it's great.  The tabbed support is really nice when you want to look at 10 sites from slashdot but don't want to have to keep on swapping back to the original window.

The only problem I have is that i can't download attachments from hotmail.. but I can forward them to my other email and download them from there.

I wouldn't use Netscape.. that's AOL's package, and it comes bundled with AOL messager, winamp and lots of other crap.  The only thing going for it is the spell checker I think :).  Go get the mozilla milestones from mozilla.org instead

- Nick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:26 pm 

opera is quite good. i like it, slowly moving from ie to opera. i use opera about 95% of the time now. (too lazy to migrate all my bookmarks over. hehehehe)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:33 pm 
Well, Nick uses Mozilla and so do I now, and I have yet to find anything better(in fact I like Mozilla better than IE).

K.J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:13 am 
The only reasons I like IE are the options and features. Animated GIFs and stuff like that don't display well in Netscape. Good things about Netscape are load times. It seems to break the images up into separate, smaller files which makes load time a lot faster. Tho, IE is supported [DHTML, Java and reg. HTML wise] a lot better on most sites. In DHTML, for example, separate scripts have to be created for NE browsers, or else you use a cross-browser script, which has less options. I have noticed (on my websites, at least) the majority of internet browsers use IE since it comes bundled with the Microsoft OS, and because most users don't want to go to the trouble of getting a new browser. Another nice feature about NE is the bundled HTML editor. While I don't like it (I prefer Notepad, personally) I think it's a great thing for beginners [to HTML]. The AOL crap is annoying, tho.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:36 am 
Hi JordanC_is_MBlake

Will you make new qbasic programs in the future?

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:46 am 
Robin_Gravel: PLS discuss on the new QB topic (called New QB on the General_OT board), I don't want to take the convo away from IE and NE and et cetera. TXS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:43 am 
1st:
I've competely changed my mind on whatever else I've posted. DITCH IE AND UP OPERA!!!!! Opera is the best browser I have used...it's fast and easy. I just hope the non-Java non-JavaScript rumors aren't true of my ver...

2nd:
This is my hundredy-first post! yahoo! (no, google, actually...that's not even funny.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:34 am 
Quote:
Robin_Gravel: PLS discuss on the new QB topic (called New QB on the General_OT board), I don't want to take the convo away from IE and NE and et cetera. TXS

Oops. Wrong place. Sorry folks.

Robin Gravel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:04 pm 
When the cookies patch comes out dillo will be my browser of choice.

'till then, well there is this ad in Opera... ;)