daily ball droppings:
asked Bangalore team lead:
- Dear X, we had this error message "..." installing the gpu tool, i heard you guys were able to install, can you give some hints on this?
- Yes, we did "something" to make it work.
- Asked Chinese guy with MS degree, I have write permission issue on this storage, do you know what the access information for looking from server side?
- Oh sorry, I dont know where this storage box is located.
- Asked another Indian team member, Dear X we are in need for supported HDDs for this server, do you guys have extra to spare?
- Yes, here are the list of supported HDDs.
I was a great fan of the physicist Richard Feynman and he published a few autobiographical stories about his comings and goings.
One time he was in some country as an educational advisor and he was given a tour of this and that. On the last day he was taken to a hall where students were to be asked questions by him; so as to demonstrate the superiority of the educational system he had just toured.
When asked for planks constant - bam - got it right
When asked the formula for this or that - bam got it right
But then Feynman stopped reading the list of questions and started asking his own questions...
Why is this this way... For this example what is that and why... etc...
What the educators found out via a few pointed questions was that the students had learned the textbooks front to back and could recite any definition within - but had absolutely no problem solving skills nor the ability to apply the knowledge they had memorized.