OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Disjointed English
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:16 am 

Lukand wrote:
Have you ever heard for Serbo-English Google Translate?
Try to translate something in it. Only thing you will get is english all wrotten on cyrillic.
Like:
English -> Serbian
You're talking to me? -> Јоу'ре талкинг то ме?
Or even Serbo-German Google Translate...
Really, 13mil people could not have basic translation to international languages...
Through there is more than 13 million. Right calculation would be:
Population of Serbia + Serbs in Germany, Austria and America and Norway + ( Population of Macedonia / 2) + Population of Bosnia + (Population of Croatia/2) which is basically = 20 million.

I feel it strange that no editor bothered to create a translator. Btw when I tried I got "причаш са мном" ,is it badly translated ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:30 am 

Hi,

Boris wrote:
I feel it strange that no editor bothered to create a translator. Btw when I tried I got "причаш са мном" ,is it badly translated ?

Standard practice is to convert one way, then convert back and compare to the original:
    You're talking to me?
    Причаш са мном?
    Are you talking to me?

That seems fine to me. Another:
    That seems fine to me.
    То изгледа добро за мене.
    It looks good to me.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 am 

Lukand wrote:
Have you ever heard for Serbo-English Google Translate?
Try to translate something in it. Only thing you will get is english all wrotten on cyrillic.
Like:
English -> Serbian
You're talking to me? -> Јоу'ре талкинг то ме?
Or even Serbo-German Google Translate...
Really, 13mil people could not have basic translation to international languages...
Through there is more than 13 million. Right calculation would be:
Population of Serbia + Serbs in Germany, Austria and America and Norway + ( Population of Macedonia / 2) + Population of Bosnia + (Population of Croatia/2) which is basically = 20 million.

Google Translate gives me the following for Serbian:-

You're talking go me? --> Причаш са мном?
Are you talking to me? --> да ли се мени обраћаш?
Are you sure you're using Google Translate correctly --> Да ли сте сигурни да користите гоогле транслате исправно?

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
We have an engineer just moved from shanghai ,but uses punctuation like this ,when writing email .i cant duplicate his grammar because it is so messed up .
I'm not sure whether you've been told yet but your English is far from perfect. My advice is for you to improve your own English and if you succeed there you might then help others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 am 

dchapiesky wrote:
matt11235 wrote:
The NVIDIA Website wrote:
sudo app-get
It seems like somebody dictated the commands to the computer through some speech recognition thing and then never bothered to proofread it.

It probably thought they were chinese.... (sry bout that. #-o )

not to be discriminatory since i myself asian, but there are some indian and chinese folks who resist picking up their dropped balls.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:58 am 

daily ball droppings:
asked Bangalore team lead:
- Dear X, we had this error message "..." installing the gpu tool, i heard you guys were able to install, can you give some hints on this?
- Yes, we did "something" to make it work. :roll:

- Asked Chinese guy with MS degree, I have write permission issue on this storage, do you know what the access information for looking from server side?
- Oh sorry, I dont know where this storage box is located. :shock:

- Asked another Indian team member, Dear X we are in need for supported HDDs for this server, do you guys have extra to spare?
- Yes, here are the list of supported HDDs. =D>

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:52 am 

ggodw000 wrote:
daily ball droppings:
- Dear X, we had this error message "..." installing the gpu tool, i heard you guys were able to install, can you give some hints on this?

- Asked Chinese guy with MS degree, I have write permission issue on this storage, do you know what the access information for looking from server side?

- Asked another Indian team member, Dear X we are in need for supported HDDs for this server, do you guys have extra to spare?

You need to send that into http://theregister.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:59 am 

ggodw000 wrote:
daily ball droppings:

I was a great fan of the physicist Richard Feynman and he published a few autobiographical stories about his comings and goings.

One time he was in some country as an educational advisor and he was given a tour of this and that. On the last day he was taken to a hall where students were to be asked questions by him; so as to demonstrate the superiority of the educational system he had just toured.

When asked for planks constant - bam - got it right
When asked the formula for this or that - bam got it right

But then Feynman stopped reading the list of questions and started asking his own questions...

Why is this this way... For this example what is that and why... etc...

What the educators found out via a few pointed questions was that the students had learned the textbooks front to back and could recite any definition within - but had absolutely no problem solving skills nor the ability to apply the knowledge they had memorized.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:32 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
not to be discriminatory since i myself asian, but there are some indian and chinese folks who resist picking up their dropped balls.

To be fair, were I in a Bangkok hospital and my balls were dropped on the floor, I wouldn't be inclined to pick them up again. I am pretty sure that would be the whole point of the trip, really.

And no, I don't have anything like that planned. Not yet, at any rate. It's a possibility for the future, though.

Last edited by Schol-R-LEA on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:50 pm 

They are dropping balls in manhood too... (e.g. Most of their kids are becoming pussies. Sorry for being racist, but Chinese goverment is already considering to put classes of manhood in their schools haha LOL)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

Boris wrote:

Standard practice is to convert one way, then convert back and compare to the original:
    You're talking to me?
    Причаш са мном?
    Are you talking to me?

That seems fine to me. Another:
    That seems fine to me.
    То изгледа добро за мене.
    It looks good to me.

Cheers,

Brendan

It's not possible. Try it again. If it is like you quouted, then they recently put some effort! WOW!

Through, my calculation of real Serb population is wrong, sorry, it is like this:
Population of Serbia + Serbs in Germany, Austria and America and Norway + ( Population of Macedonia / 2) + Population of Bosnia + (Population of Croatia/2) + Serbs in Montenegro + Albania / 4 = 21,2 million.
Really, Montenegro is totally Serbian since it follows Serbian Orthodox church, it was Serbian for a certain amount of time and their primary language is Serbian. Bosnia is all Serbian except the western parts which have been muslimized by Ottomans.
Albania followed orthodox church until muslimization by Ottomans.

Last edited by Ycep on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

Lukand wrote:
They are dropping balls in manhood too... (e.g. Most of their kids are becoming pussies. Sorry for being racist, but Chinese goverment is already considering to put classes of manhood in their schools haha LOL)

If they need any spare masculinity, they can have mine. I'm not intending to use it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm 

another communication breakdown with two indian folks:

Problem at hand: The <linux distro> newer version does not install onto <storage target type> with <error message>. +adding +2 indian guy to assist in e-mail thread with this problem:

- 1st indian guy picks up and says ok, you have to use <kernel parameter #2> to make it work. If you used older <kernel parameter #1> by default then it will not work.
Me: Okay, I will try with <kernel parameter #2> but also O/S image is problematic such that it uses non-working <kernel paramter #1> by default right? Especially if released in the field where no one is aware of this secret <kernel parameter #2>?
Do you have concern on this one?

At this point, second Indian comrade #2 jumps in to assist and says:
- Hello <me>, you have to use <kernel parameter #2> to make it work.
(makes me speechless). :^o

I mean I try my best to not have problem with my Indian comrades, but it just kills me that now the responsibility falls on me that I have to guide the Indian comrade #2 like 5th grader saying and pointing out "Hello dear Mr my Indian comrade #2, I am already aware of the fact that the Indian comrade #1 has told me about this and now this conversation has progressed to the point where we started discussing whether it is a right idea to ship O/S image with non working default parameters" .. blah blah...