OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A friendly hello
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 pm 

Is it me or should there be a sub-forum where someone can say "Hi" when they join the forum. After lurking around here like a stalker reading what everyone posted I just felt I'd be rude if I didn't. :roll:

So here I am, looking for a hobby to keep me busy for a few years. Still very much in the research phase trying to get a mental model of what I want to do.

Almost certainly written in pascal tho. It's the language I know best including (some) inline assembler. If I can believe the barebone it's much easier to get started then I thought. Especially when using grub. Don't even get me started on Bochs after being compiled with full debugging. It seems there's lot neat and wonderful stuff I didn't know.

Really would love to write a microkernel but realistically it'll be some mix.

Anyway... I have a feeling I'll be learning allot lurking around here.
For now... it's been the best starting point I could have imagined.

Thank you... and Hi! :D

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS

Post subject: Re: A friendly hello
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:48 am 

Hi. :)

Nice to see someone else giving Pascal a try. I think it's a good choice for a beginner: It's not too crazily different from C, but you can't just copy and paste stuff from tutorials, so you're more likely to actually understand what you're doing (at the very least you'll have to carefully look at every single line of code of a tutorial in order to translate it - but understanding and then writing different code is actually more convenient than that). With a C kernel, it's too easy to yield to the temptation of just getting some tutorial code to work as quickly as possible and never make it your own code.

Post subject: Re: A friendly hello
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:46 pm 

Yeah exactly.

If I'd write it in C I'd probably manage. But I'd be copy/past'ing alot of example code and playing around with it. Cause I simply would also be learning how to program in C efficiently.

But I was so happy to learn that it's possible to use Pascal. Love that language, grew up with it. Went from gwbasic to tp4 and never looked back. But always thought Pascal couldn't be used for OS development. Although I did write a code injector in Delphi a long time ago, so I should've known better.

I also looked at Golang. I have a little crush on that language. But I saw no way to use it for this without turning my life into a living hell.

Edit: Lucky I can also reasonably understand German. Týndur seems great. Yet another wiki for me to stalk. :)

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS