OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2048
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:49 am 

Hi,
I wonder if you guys have seen this little game: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/
It's quite popular nowadays.

The main focus of the game is to get to the 2048 tile. It involves moving the entire 4x4 tileset left, right, up or down. Each tile in the tileset holds a number which is a power of 2. Say we have: (E stands for empty square)
Code:
2 4 2 8
E 2 2 E
8 2 4 E
E E E E

Now you've got 4 options as previously mentioned, up, left, right, down. Note that when you will push two similar numbers together on the same side they join together and sum up and a random tile (2 or 4) will spawn.
So if I move the tileset up,
Code:
2 4 4 8
8 4 4 E
E 2 E E
E E E 2 --> Random tile

The maximum I could get was 1024, with a score of 11188.
Have fun. :)

Post subject: Re: 2048
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:32 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Turns out there's a decent strategy for this game - managed to hit the 2048 twice in the last four games. (no spoilers on how to do that one yet :wink:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am 

I didn't try putting my combinatorics hat on but I did play the game several times and won the last few, even managing a 4096 piece twice in a row. I won't go into tactics here (there are a few useful tricks, I've found) but my general startegy was to try to have the blocks in increasing order and always work on the smallest. Whenever forced to screw up the order (say, 256, 512, 256), I would work on the out-of-order block, to eventually unite it with its smallest neighbour. I would pretty much never go in one direction (say, up) and if I was forced to, I would then try to clean up the mess. The nice thing about this strategy is the "cascade" effect you get every now and then, when one merger leads to another.

There are probably better ways but this seemed simple and effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:30 pm 

I am happy to report that this technique is good up to at least 8192. :)

On a related note, I also came across Evil 2048, which creates blocks in unfortunate places (managed to score 1024 after a few games), and 2048 - 3D, that I only played once and sucked at but will try again at some point (someone suggested it gets easier than the regular 2048 once you get used to it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:45 pm 

Damn.. I am terrible at that game :lol:
Best I got was 1024 :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm 

Damn, it's so hard! I always get a nice pattern that increases, with the highest in a corner, until one lower block gets there, then it all goes to hell :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am 

I tried this recently - I particularly like the Android app version because I can play it on my phone but it is rather difficult once and the furthest that I got was 1024. How come is everyone going beyond 2048? Does the game not automatically end when you get to 2048?

Anyway I'm open to suggestions and hits and tips because I'm really battling with this game! (Although I have got some quite good scores a few times though, although not often though...)

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing