OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Problem with PCI conf2 method
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hi!
I'm not sure if here is the best place for that question, so i will be pleased if anyone suggests me a more proper forum for that.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.4 in a netbook (from an usb), but the kernel stops very early in initialization process. After two days of research i found that it boots with the parameter pci=conf2 but no with the default conf1 method. Nevertheless after kernel boot, seems that Ubuntu can't find usb devices and i'm not be able to install it. Trying with Debian and its graphic installer i found that mouse isn't working neither, so i think pci devices are not working.
I tried about 50% of kernel pci boot options in the kernel-parameters file (in conjunction with the implicit default conf1) without luck.
Any suggestions?

PD: The problem is the same with kernel 2.6 or 3.

EDIT1: I saw the kernel log and I think pci=conf2 is acting like pci=off, so conf2 is not a valid method for my machine, but conf1 still doesn't work with any other pci parameter.

EDIT2: Originally the kernel stops here:

Code:
RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
--> HERE <--
pci 0000:00:00.0: Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers

EDIT3: I compiled a kernel with some debug printks and i found that kernel stops at some pci quirk, here (see http://goo.gl/0nKbW9):
Code:
pci_apply_final_quirks

EDIT4: Seems to be a problem with some USB EHCI quirk, i've reported a Kernel bug: http://goo.gl/5QCtNR

Please excuse me about my english!

Greetings from Argentina,
Leandro
--
(In Spanish)
Hola!
No estoy seguro si éste es el mejor lugar para esta pregunta, por lo cual estaré encantado si alguno me sugiere un mejor lugar para ella.

Estoy intentando instalar Ubuntu 12.04.4 en una netbook (desde un usb), pero el kernel se detiene muy temprano en la inicialización. Después de dos días de investigar, encontré que arranca con el parámetro pci=conf2 pero no con método default conf1. Sin embargo después de que el kernel arranca, parece que Ubuntu no logra encontrar los dispositivos usb y no puedo instalar el sistema. Intentando con Debian y su instalador gráfico, encontré que el ratón tampoco funcionaba, así que pienso que los dispositivos pci no están funcionando.
Intenté con aproximadamente el 50% de las opciones de arranque del kernel para pci (en conjunción con el método implícito conf1) sin suerte.
Alguna idea?

PD: El problema es el mismo con el kernel 2.6 o 3.

Saludos desde Argentina,
Leandro

Last edited by leandroliptak on Wed May 28, 2014 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Problem with PCI conf2 method
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 pm 

> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.4
> Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:18 am
12.04 is somehow outdated (especially in terms of new hardware support), are you sure that you really want this version (14.04 is already released, really) of this distro?
Btw, can you add the model name/number of your notebook and what version of Debian did you try?

Post subject: Re: Problem with PCI conf2 method
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:20 pm 

Nable wrote:
12.04 is somehow outdated (especially in terms of new hardware support), are you sure that you really want this version (14.04 is already released, really) of this distro?
Btw, can you add the model name/number of your notebook and what version of Debian did you try?

I tried with Ubuntu 14.04 (amd64), Slackware 14, Debian 7.5 (amd64), Ubuntu 11.10 (amd64) and Ubuntu 12.04 (x86 and amd64).
The notebook is a Hashee E210: http://goo.gl/5l4auv

Thanks for your reply (: